Wellington at Hershey’s Mill is a small facility in West Chester, Pennsylvania. This facility received a phenomenal overall grade of A, making it ranked among the top three facilities in the city. Based on our analysis, this facility is simply as good as it gets. We also gave this facility impressive scores in all of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Wellington at Hershey’s Mill
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Aug 1, 2021 by Nick Reese
Note: Data for Wellington at Hershey’s Mill has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Get pricing and details on West Chester senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in West Chester, Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in West Chester, Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Short-term Care Quality
On top of earning a great overall score, this facility also received an A+ short-term care grade. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was given a superb grade of A- in our long-term care category. For prospective residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 89.74359 percent of its patients. This is slightly lower than we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Wellington at Hershey’s Mill?
Another impressive feature of this facility is its inspection grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
In our final category, this facility also was given a very strong nursing grade, with an A-. This completed a straight A report card. Our nursing score is based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of skill of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed better than average in this area. This is often a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wellington at Hershey’s Mill Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 9.68% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 2.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 8.33% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Closer supervision reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 15.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 25.93% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 0% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. High levels of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 91.99% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 25.93% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 37.44% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 37.44% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 14.18% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wellington at Hershey’s Mill, 59.77% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for West Chester, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? West Chester, Pennsylvania has 4 other nursing homes
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Paoli HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away255 West Lancaster Avenue Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 648-1000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Phoenixville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away140 Nutt Road Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Proprietary(610) 983-1000
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Main Line Hospital Bryn Mawr CampusAcute Care Hospitals 13.33 miles away130 South Bryn Mawr Ave Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 526-3000
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 15.15 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Delaware County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.43 miles away501 North Lansdowne Ave Drexel Hill Pennsylvania 19026Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 284-8100
- Fresenius Kidney Care - West Chester1.02 miles away1380 Enterprise Dr., Suite 300 West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 701-0103
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis2.61 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- Dialyze Direct Pa LLC4.49 miles away495 Thomas Jones Way, Suite 300 Exton Pennsylvania 19341Dialysis Stations: 1 (484) 870-9260
- Renal Treatment Centers Mid Atlantic Inc5.04 miles away4 Industrial Boulevard, Suite 155 Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Dialysis Stations: 9 (610) 644-3941
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.9.33 miles away785 Starr Street, Suite 116 Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Dialysis Stations: 1 (610) 415-1019
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis9.45 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902
- Riddle Dialysis Center9.47 miles away100 Granite Drive, Suite 106 Media Pennsylvania 19063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 892-4701
- Davita Healthcare Partners, Inc.10.33 miles away265 Wilmington West Chester Pike Chadds Ford Pennsylvania 19317Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 558-6965