Webster House is a large non-profit nursing home in Palo Alto, California. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is one of our best scores. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top quarter of all facilities in the United States. This nursing home also received phenomenal ratings in all four of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ long-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Facilities that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly illness for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this nursing home also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively minor. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Webster House?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. The nursing rating assesses quite a few datapoints, but the primary consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was short-term care. In this area, we gave this facility a favorable grade of B. In computing these short-term care grades, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to devise a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients that returned home from the facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Webster House Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Webster House, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Webster House, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients that suffered falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Webster House, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Webster House, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Webster House, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Webster House, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Webster House, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Webster House, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Webster House, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Webster House, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Webster House, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Webster House, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Webster House, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 4.59 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- Sequoia HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away170 Alameda De Las Pulgas Redwood City California 94062Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 367-5551
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.2 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- San Mateo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.59 miles away222 W 39th Ave San Mateo California 94403Government - Local(650) 573-2222
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 11.76 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 12.06 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 12.06 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- Satellite Dialysis Menlo Park2.05 miles away1040 Hamilton Court Menlo Park California 94025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 384-4800
- Redwood City Dialysis Center4.64 miles away1000 Marshall Street Redwood City California 94063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 365-0129
- Lucile Packard Stanford Pediatric Dialysis4.88 miles away725 Welch Road Pediatric Dialysis Rm 1229 Palo Alto California 94304Dialysis Stations: 6 (650) 498-5544
- Satellite Dialysis Redwood City6.1 miles away1125 Industrial Rd Suite G San Carlos California 94070CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 366-0789
- Satellite Dialysis Mountain View6.44 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 100 Mountain View California 94040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 417-6420
- Wellbound of Mountain View6.44 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 200 Mountain View California 94040Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 417-6460
- Davita El Camino Dialysis7.14 miles away412 West El Camino Real Mountain View California 94043Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 962-1903
- Satellite Dialysis Sunnyvale9.52 miles away155 North Wolfe Rd Sunnyvale California 94086CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 617-1887