Unity Nursing & Rehab Center is located in New Orleans, Louisiana. This city is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country with has a population of 382,333 people. This nursing home received an uninspiring overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in New Orleans. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Unity Nursing & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Unity Nursing & Rehab Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on New Orleans senior living options.Get Pricing
- Speech Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this nursing home well overall, we want to point out its decent health inspections in recent years. We gave it a somewhat respectable score of B- in this category. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's long-term care grade turns out to be one of its higher features. The facility was awarded a B- in this area. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. We were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 8.098592 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be significantly lower than what we expected. Nevertheless, this nursing home excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Unity Nursing & Rehab Center?
We were stunned to find that this facility also excelled in the category of nursing. We awarded it a grade of D for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Nursing grades are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed is short-term care, proved to be this facility's weakest category. We awarded this facility a grade of D in that area. Short-term care ratings are vital for individuals requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final item we looked at in this category is the number of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. This was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Unity Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 10.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.41% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents which sustained a fall which caused major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.07% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this metric may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 35.63% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used to treat a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 11.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 5.47% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 28.37% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 14.29% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 11.29% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 0.04 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 11.29% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 5.7% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for New Orleans, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? New Orleans, Louisiana has 13 other nursing homes
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 0.13 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.17 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 2.22 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.45 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.98 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.62 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- New Orleans Kidney Ctr0.1 miles away3434 Prytania Ste 200 New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (504) 899-8414
- Fkc - New Orleans Uptown0.66 miles away2500 Louisiana Avenue New Orleans Louisiana 70115Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 891-8608
- Davita - Memorial Dialysis0.94 miles away4427 S Robertson St - 2nd Floor New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (504) 899-1103
- Davita - Garden District Dx0.97 miles away2620 Jena New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (504) 269-6004
- Davita - New Orleans Uptown Dialysis0.99 miles away1401 Foucher St 4th Fl-Dialysis Unit New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 897-8530
- Fkc - New Orleans Downtown2.06 miles away2235 Poydras St New Orleans Louisiana 70119Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 821-2220
- Fmcna - Marrero2.19 miles away7325 Westbank Expressway Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 348-1845
- Childrens Hospital-Dialysis2.21 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Dialysis Stations: 8 (504) 896-2061