Unity Nursing & Rehab Center is located in New Orleans, Louisiana. This city is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country with has a population of 382,333 people. We gave this facility a rock bottom overall score based on the data we looked at. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in New Orleans. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. This facility's only redeeming feature is its inspection grade, which we provide more information about below.
Unity Nursing & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Speech Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it actually received an impressive government inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that area with an A-. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of short-term care, this facility received a grade of just D in that category. Sadly, this ended up being one of its best areas. In determining our short-term care scores, we size up the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This grade is generally a reliable measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. With its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to find that this facility is well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Honestly, this was about what we expected to find. The last measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Unity Nursing & Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we looked at was long-term care. This nursing home's received a rock-bottom long-term care grade where it received a lowly F. Long-term care ratings in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were disappointed to learn that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 81.08108 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
The next category we graded was nursing. We gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. Our nursing rating analyzes the facility's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the amount of time spent with patients. This nursing home provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Unity Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 9.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents that have sustained falls resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 2.79% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 16.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.48% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 89.54% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 17.84% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 15.38% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 2.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 15.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Unity Nursing & Rehab Center, 12.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for New Orleans, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Orleans, Louisiana has 14 other nursing homes
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 0.13 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.17 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 2.22 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.45 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.98 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.62 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- New Orleans Kidney Ctr0.1 miles away3434 Prytania Ste 200 New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (504) 899-8414
- Fkc - New Orleans Uptown0.66 miles away2500 Louisiana Avenue New Orleans Louisiana 70115Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 891-8608
- Davita - Memorial Dialysis0.94 miles away4427 S Robertson St - 2nd Floor New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (504) 899-1103
- Davita - Garden District Dx0.97 miles away2620 Jena New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (504) 269-6004
- Davita - New Orleans Uptown Dialysis0.99 miles away1401 Foucher St 4th Fl-Dialysis Unit New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 897-8530
- Fkc - New Orleans Downtown2.06 miles away2235 Poydras St New Orleans Louisiana 70119Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 821-2220
- Fmcna - Marrero2.19 miles away7325 Westbank Expressway Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 348-1845
- Childrens Hospital-Dialysis2.21 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Dialysis Stations: 8 (504) 896-2061