The Laurels of Bon Air is located in Richmond, Virginia. This city is among the most densely populated cities in the country with has 364,141 people. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack grade. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Richmond, which is admittedly a little below average nationally. The best part of this place's profile was is its inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
The Laurels of Bon Air
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Richmond senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility earned an inspection score which is better than its overall rating. Inspection scores are tied to a nursing home's recent government inspections. We awarded this facility a very solid grade of B in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively minor. This particular nursing home received 9 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
The second most favorable area we gave this facility in any area came in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of B-. In the category of long-term care, we focus on the amount of services offered by a facility, rather than more medically-intensive services. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to a relatively low 48.543686 percent of its residents, which is somewhat concerning. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about The Laurels of Bon Air?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. We assessed the licensure of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time the nurses worked with residents, in determining our rating in this category. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, although this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of our quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this subcategory.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is short-term care. For this category, we awarded this nursing home a C. Our short-term care ratings are probably more meaningful for patients requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. Finally, we considered the number of residents that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Laurels of Bon Air Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 8.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. More supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 2.25% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which had a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic may be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 15.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 19.63% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 5.07% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 88.92% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 17.15% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 18.14% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels. Many believe that the ability to move around is vital to patients well-being.
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 1.38 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 18.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 12.25 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 74.96% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Richmond, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Richmond, Virginia has 4 other nursing homes
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.41 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- John Randolph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.64 miles away411 West Randolph Road Hopewell Virginia 23860Proprietary(804) 541-1600
- Davita - Hioaks Dialysis2.42 miles away671 Hioaks Rd Ste A Richmond Virginia 23225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 272-0179
- Livingston Dialysis LLC4.46 miles away4900 Forest Hill Ave Richmond Virginia 23225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 230-3594
- James River Home Dialysis5.13 miles away13859 Village Place Drive Midlothian Virginia 23114Dialysis Stations: 1 (804) 378-2170
- Charter Colony Dialysis Center5.78 miles away2312 Colony Crossing Pl Midlothian Virginia 23112CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (804) 739-6383
- Davita Midlothian5.82 miles away14281 Midlothian Trnpk Midlothian Virginia 23113CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 594-3520
- Hopkins Road Dialysis6.2 miles away5750 Hopkins Road Richmond Virginia 23234Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 275-8631
- Westhampton Dialysis Center LLC6.34 miles away5320 Patterson Avenue Richmond Virginia 23226Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 285-3394
- Bma - West End7.28 miles away1501 Santa Rosa Rd Henrico Virginia 23229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (804) 288-5053