The Laurels of Bon Air is located in Richmond, Virginia. This city is among the most densely populated cities in the country with has 364,141 people. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack grade. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Richmond, which is admittedly a little below average nationally. One of the better aspects of this facility's profile is its strong inspection rating, which is addressed in the next section.
The Laurels of Bon Air
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this facility received a decent overall grade is its excellent health inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our better grades in that area, with an A-. This is a notably better score than the place's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite insignificant. This particular nursing home received 9 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable area is long-term care. We awarded it a C in this category. This is essentially a middle of the pack score in this category. In our long-term care rating, we weigh the amount of care provided by a nursing home, along with some quality datapoints. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. We were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated a relatively low 42.465755 percent of its patients against pneumonia. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about The Laurels of Bon Air?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of C, which is a decent grade. In determining a facility's nursing grade, we look at the amount of time nurses are with residents as well as the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a good indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was short-term care, turned out to be this facility's least impressive category. We awarded this nursing home a D in that category. In determining our short-term care scores, we assess a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is often a solid measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final metric we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics doomed this facility's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Laurels of Bon Air Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 3.63% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 91.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Laurels of Bon Air, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Richmond, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Richmond, Virginia has 9 other nursing homes
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.41 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- John Randolph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.64 miles away411 West Randolph Road Hopewell Virginia 23860Proprietary(804) 541-1600
- Davita - Hioaks Dialysis2.42 miles away671 Hioaks Rd Ste A Richmond Virginia 23225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 272-0179
- Livingston Dialysis LLC4.46 miles away4900 Forest Hill Ave Richmond Virginia 23225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 230-3594
- James River Home Dialysis5.13 miles away13859 Village Place Drive Midlothian Virginia 23114Dialysis Stations: 1 (804) 378-2170
- Charter Colony Dialysis Center5.78 miles away2312 Colony Crossing Pl Midlothian Virginia 23112CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (804) 739-6383
- Davita Midlothian5.82 miles away14281 Midlothian Trnpk Midlothian Virginia 23113CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 594-3520
- Hopkins Road Dialysis6.2 miles away5750 Hopkins Road Richmond Virginia 23234Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 275-8631
- Westhampton Dialysis Center LLC6.34 miles away5320 Patterson Avenue Richmond Virginia 23226Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 285-3394
- Bma - West End7.28 miles away1501 Santa Rosa Rd Henrico Virginia 23229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (804) 288-5053