The Cardinal at North Hills is one of nine facilities in Raleigh, North Carolina. Featuring an overall score of A+, this nursing home is among the most impressive nursing homes we assessed. Based on our ratings, this nursing home is simply as good as it gets. Headlining this facility's exemplary profile is its inspection reports, which we will address in the next paragraph.
The Cardinal at North Hills
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
311 Garden at North Hills Street,
Raleigh NC 27609
88.66% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection scores are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate profile, this facility also was awarded a strong short-term care score, with a grade of A. With our short-term care rating, we attempt to create a fair measure for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. One reason for this nursing home's favorable grade in this category is it offers more care from registered nurses than the typical facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that it fared as well as just about any nursing home with 56.4 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Cardinal at North Hills?
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to point out the fact that this nursing home was awarded a high-end score of A in our long-term care area. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to providing elite levels of nursing care and other staffing, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This statistic is also far better than the average nursing home. This combination proved to be successful as this facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last area we rated is nursing, where this facility received a grade of A-. This rounded out a first-rate report card. Few facilities earned an A- or better in in each area we assessed. Our nursing rating includes several components, however, the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provides an incredible 5.6 hours of nursing care per resident each day. Out of that total, many of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which is one of the most highly trained levels of nurses. On top of looking at levels of nursing care, we also looked at a few quality measures in determining our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these areas as reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Cardinal at North Hills Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Cardinal at North Hills, 10.34% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Cardinal at North Hills, 3.97% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Cardinal at North Hills, 3.26% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Cardinal at North Hills, 11.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Cardinal at North Hills, 22.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Cardinal at North Hills, 3.06% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Cardinal at North Hills, 88.86% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Cardinal at North Hills, 19.28% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's health.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Cardinal at North Hills, 11.98 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Cardinal at North Hills, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Raleigh, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Raleigh, North Carolina has 8 other nursing homes
- Duke Health Raleigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.99 miles away3400 Wake Forest Rd Raleigh North Carolina 27609Voluntary non-profit - Private(919) 954-3000
- Rex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away4420 Lake Boone Trail Raleigh North Carolina 27607Government - State(919) 784-3100
- WakemedAcute Care Hospitals 4.26 miles away3000 New Bern Ave Raleigh North Carolina 27610Voluntary non-profit - Private(919) 350-8000
- WakemedAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away1900 Kildare Farm Road Cary North Carolina 27518Voluntary non-profit - Private(919) 350-2550
- Duke Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.95 miles away3643 N Roxboro Street Durham North Carolina 27704Government - Local(919) 470-4000
- Fmc Wake Dialysis Clinic2.58 miles away3604 Bush Street Raleigh North Carolina 27609CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (919) 876-7501
- Fresenius Medical Care Central Raleigh3.16 miles away802 Semart Drive Raleigh North Carolina 27604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (919) 832-2644
- Oak City Dialysis3.59 miles away3645 Trust Drive Raleigh North Carolina 27616Dialysis Stations: 10 (919) 876-6827
- Raleigh Dialysis Clinic Inc4.36 miles away3943 New Bern Ave, Suite 100 Raleigh North Carolina 27610CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (919) 231-3146
- Fms Six Forks Dialysis Clinic4.48 miles away3411 West Millbrook Rd Raleigh North Carolina 27613CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (919) 781-8974
- Fmc New Hope Dialysis6.53 miles away835 South New Hope Road Raleigh North Carolina 27610CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (919) 231-3700
- Fmcna Southwest Wake Dialysis7.38 miles away320 Gideon Creek Way Raleigh North Carolina 27603CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (919) 771-1022
- Fresenius Medical Care Northern Wake8.16 miles away2700 Leighton Ridge Drive Wake Forest North Carolina 27587Dialysis Stations: 16 (919) 554-2359