The Amsterdam at Harborside is a senior living facility located in Port Washington, New York, a city with 30,171 people. Featuring an overall rating of A, this is undoubtedly a first-rate nursing home. In fact, this facility has the prestigious distinction of being one of the top 50 nursing homes in New York. This facility was also given strong ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
The Amsterdam at Harborside
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
300 East Overlook,
Port Washington NY 11050
76.42% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are relatively minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its first-rate assessment, this facility also received a strong short-term care score, with a score of A. Short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Remarkably, this facility provides roughly 50% more hours of services from physical therapists and registered nurses than most facilities we assessed. The final item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that it fared as well as just about any facility in New York in this area with 59.8 percent of its residents returning home. At most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-stay residents are able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Amsterdam at Harborside?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provided 5.8 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This was one of the better totals we found. In addition, a significant percentage of this care was provided by registered nurses, which are highly skilled nurses. These are both really impressive figures. On top of offering impressive levels of care, this place also performed well in several of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In terms of the percentage of its residents suffering falls leading to serious injury, this place performed as well as any nursing home the country.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category we scored, this nursing home received an impressive grade grade of B+ in our long-term care category. With this score, the nursing home rounded out a very impressive profile. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. In addition to offering very favorable levels of nursing care, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 98.14815 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Amsterdam at Harborside Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 13.02% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 92.45% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels.
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Amsterdam at Harborside, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.15 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.62 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.34 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.62 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Davita Port Washington Dialysis Center0.94 miles away50 Seaview Blvd Port Washington New York 11050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 484-3460
- Nyu Langone Hospitals2.64 miles away255 Warner Avenue Roslyn Heights New York 11577Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 626-8355
- Davita Julia and Israel Waldbaum Dialysis3.82 miles away100 Community Drive Waldbaum Dialysis Center Great Neck New York 11021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (516) 465-8250
- Glengariff Dialysis Center, LLC4.18 miles away141 Dosoris Lane Glen Cove New York 11542Dialysis Stations: 6 (516) 676-1100
- Nyu Langone Hospitals6.24 miles away200 Old Country Road The Dialysis Center Mineola New York 11501CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 663-9012
- Queens-Long Island Renal Institute6.56 miles away271-11 76th Avenue New Hyde Park New York 11040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 289-2600
- New Hyde Park Dialysis Center6.56 miles awayNew Hyde Park Dialysis Center 1574 Hillside Avenue New Hyde Park New York 11040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 327-5555
- Lij Medical Center6.56 miles away270-05 76th Avenue Dialysis Unit 7th Floor New Hyde Park New York 11040Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 470-7820