The Harborside is a nursing home located in Port Washington, New York, a city with 30,171 people. This nursing home proved to be an A+ facility. Being awarded an A+ in our rating scheme requires excellent scores across the board. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it as one of the top 25 facilities in New York. Scroll down to find this facility's category scores, which also impressed us. You just can't do any better than a straight A report card.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Port Washington senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Port Washington, New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Port Washington, New York Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Port Washington, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall rating, this nursing home also earned an A+ inspection rating. This score is based on the facility's recent government inspections. An A+ in this category is one of the highest complements we can offer a facility. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a grade of A+ for its short-term care grade. Our short-term care grade is often employed to assess a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to have quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Harborside?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. When determining a facility's nursing score, we weigh the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home averages 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving patients more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next area, this facility also performed admirably in our long-term care category. We awarded it an A- in that area. This topped off a straight A report card. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are kept in good health. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 99.07407 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Harborside Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Harborside, 23.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents which suffer from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Harborside, 1.85% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Harborside, 0.96% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. However, this metric could also be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Harborside, 12.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Harborside, 5.95% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Harborside, 0% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Harborside, 99.54% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Harborside, 12.35% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Harborside, 8.57% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Some experts argue that mobility is critical to residents' well-being.
In The Harborside, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Harborside, 8.57% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Harborside, 1.93% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Harborside, 85.83% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.15 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.62 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.34 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.62 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Davita Port Washington Dialysis Center0.94 miles away50 Seaview Blvd Port Washington New York 11050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 484-3460
- Nyu Langone Hospitals2.64 miles away255 Warner Avenue Roslyn Heights New York 11577Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 626-8355
- Davita Julia and Israel Waldbaum Dialysis3.82 miles away100 Community Drive Waldbaum Dialysis Center Great Neck New York 11021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (516) 465-8250
- Glengariff Dialysis Center, LLC4.18 miles away141 Dosoris Lane Glen Cove New York 11542Dialysis Stations: 6 (516) 676-1100
- Nyu Langone Hospitals6.24 miles away200 Old Country Road The Dialysis Center Mineola New York 11501CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 663-9012
- Queens-Long Island Renal Institute6.56 miles away271-11 76th Avenue New Hyde Park New York 11040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 289-2600
- Lij Medical Center6.56 miles away270-05 76th Avenue Dialysis Unit 7th Floor New Hyde Park New York 11040Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 470-7820
- New Hyde Park Dialysis Center6.56 miles awayNew Hyde Park Dialysis Center 1574 Hillside Avenue New Hyde Park New York 11040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 327-5555