The Harborside is a nursing home located in Port Washington, New York, a city with 30,171 people. This nursing home proved to be an A rated facility. It was given one of the most impressive grades that we offer. A grade in this range requires superb marks across the board. We were impressed enough to rate this nursing home as one of the 50 best facilities in New York. Keep reading to find this place's category grades, which are equally impressive. You really can't do much better than a straight A report card.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Port Washington, New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Port Washington, New York Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Port Washington, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong nursing home overall, it also received A+ inspections recently. Its inspections were nearly perfect. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a grade of A+ for its short-term care grade. In our short-term care grade, we try to forge a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze a nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about The Harborside?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. The nursing grade analyzes several datapoints, however, the most important consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category we looked at, this nursing home received a very favorable grade of A- in our long-term care category. With this score, the nursing home finished off a straight A report card. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Harborside Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Harborside, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Harborside, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Harborside, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients which have had urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Harborside, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Harborside, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients which are given antianxiety medication. These medications are typically prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Harborside, 13.2% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Harborside, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Harborside, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Harborside, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In The Harborside, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Harborside, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Harborside, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Harborside, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.15 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.62 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.34 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.62 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Davita Port Washington Dialysis Center0.94 miles away50 Seaview Blvd Port Washington New York 11050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 484-3460
- Nyu Langone Hospitals2.64 miles away255 Warner Avenue Roslyn Heights New York 11577Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 626-8355
- Davita Julia and Israel Waldbaum Dialysis3.82 miles away100 Community Drive Waldbaum Dialysis Center Great Neck New York 11021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (516) 465-8250
- Glengariff Dialysis Center, LLC4.18 miles away141 Dosoris Lane Glen Cove New York 11542Dialysis Stations: 6 (516) 676-1100
- Nyu Langone Hospitals6.24 miles away200 Old Country Road The Dialysis Center Mineola New York 11501CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 663-9012
- Queens-Long Island Renal Institute6.56 miles away271-11 76th Avenue New Hyde Park New York 11040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 289-2600
- Lij Medical Center6.56 miles away270-05 76th Avenue Dialysis Unit 7th Floor New Hyde Park New York 11040Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 470-7820
- New Hyde Park Dialysis Center6.56 miles awayNew Hyde Park Dialysis Center 1574 Hillside Avenue New Hyde Park New York 11040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 327-5555