Symphony Evanston Healthcare is a large facility in Evanston, Illinois. This is a very respectable facility, with an overall grade of B. Based on our ratings, this nursing home has quite a bit going for it. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Symphony Evanston Healthcare
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall score, we gave this nursing home a grade of A for the area of inspections. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to this facility's list of strengths, it also was awarded a fine short-term care score. We gave them an elite strong of A- in this category. Our short-term care grades are crucial for patients in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 6.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Symphony Evanston Healthcare?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of B- in this category is by no means a bad score. We scrutinized the levels of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time the nurses spent with residents, in determining our rating in this area. This facility averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the last area, this nursing home received a grade of C in long-term care, which is a respectable score. Long-term care scores are vital for residents needing personal care. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 75.30121 percent of its patients. This is several points less than what we expected. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Symphony Evanston Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents who developed pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients that had falls which caused major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percentage of long-term stay residents which have sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 29.8% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 87.49% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Symphony Evanston Healthcare, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Evanston, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Evanston, Illinois has 6 other nursing homes
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.08 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 5.61 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 5.99 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.29 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.06 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center1.26 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston1.91 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Fmc - Rogers Park2.41 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis4.01 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC4.09 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis5.26 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Fmc - Uptown6.2 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis6.35 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105