St Johns Nursing Center is located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This city is among the most densely populated cities in the country with has a total of 765,608 people. This nursing home proved to be an A rated facility. This nursing home received one of the top ratings we offer. A score of this caliber requires top-notch scores across the board. Even with Fort Lauderdale offering 19 nursing homes available, this nursing home stood out as a fine option. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category grades, which also impressed us. You really can't do much better than a straight A report card.
St Johns Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also found that this nursing home excelled at short-term care. We gave them an A+ in this category. In computing our short-term care grades, we scrutinize a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This category is typically a useful measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
This nursing home has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. This nursing home was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to create an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about St Johns Nursing Center?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. In computing a facility's nursing rating, we assess the number of hours nurses are caring for residents as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a system of turning a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our last category, this facility was awarded an excellent long-term care score. We awarded it an A- in this category, giving this facility straight A's. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Johns Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Johns Nursing Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Johns Nursing Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients that have suffered a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Johns Nursing Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have had a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of poor nursing care. However, this metric could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Johns Nursing Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Johns Nursing Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Johns Nursing Center, 2.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Johns Nursing Center, 94.94% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Johns Nursing Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Johns Nursing Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that maintained mobility.
In St Johns Nursing Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Johns Nursing Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Johns Nursing Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Johns Nursing Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Lauderdale, Florida has 18 other nursing homes
- Plantation General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away401 Nw 42nd Ave Fort Lauderdale Florida 33317Voluntary non-profit - Private(954) 587-5010
- University Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away7201 N University Dr Fort Lauderdale Florida 33321Proprietary(954) 721-2200
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.05 miles away4725 N Federal Hwy Fort Lauderdale Florida 33308Voluntary non-profit - Church(954) 771-8000
- Broward Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away1600 S Andrews Ave Fort Lauderdale Florida 33316Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 355-4400
- Northwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away2801 N State Rd 7 Pompano Beach Florida 33063Proprietary(954) 974-0400
- Broward Health Coral SpringsAcute Care Hospitals 7.93 miles away3000 Coral Hills Dr Pompano Beach Florida 33065Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 344-3000
- Broward Health NorthAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away201 E Sample Rd Pompano Beach Florida 33064Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 786-6950
- Memorial Hospital PembrokeAcute Care Hospitals 9.86 miles away7800 Sheridan St Hollywood Florida 33024Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 962-9650
- Lauderhill Dialysis0.54 miles away2916 N State Road 7 Fort Lauderdale Florida 33313CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (954) 731-6044
- Fresenius Kidney Care-East Fort Lauderdale1.26 miles away2301 W Oakland Park Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33311Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 676-3897
- Oakland Dialysis Center LLC1.7 miles away3250 N State Road 7 Reef Plaza Fort Lauderdale Florida 33319Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 717-2293
- Florida Kidney Center1.82 miles away7309 West Oakland Park Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33319CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (954) 578-7678
- Ft Lauderdale Dixie Dialysis2.51 miles away1299 East Commercial Blvd #100 Fort Lauderdale Florida 33334CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (954) 776-6056
- Fmc Dialysis Services - Ft Lauderdale3.12 miles away3863 W Broward Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33312CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (954) 321-7772
- Advanced Dialysis Center of Ft Lauderdale3.7 miles away911 E Oakland Park Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33334CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (954) 318-7000
- Davita Inverrary Dialysis3.88 miles away4984 N University Drive Fort Lauderdale Florida 33351Dialysis Stations: 20 (954) 748-1659