Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home located in Boerne, Texas. This nursing home received an extremely poor overall grade based on the data we assessed. Boerne received a city grade of B-, so there are some other options in the city worth looking at. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is long-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Although we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it earned a better long-term care grade this year. We gave it a B- in that category, which is the closest thing to a bright spot we can find for this facility. With our long-term care category, we focus on the volume of services provided by a nursing home, as well as a handful of quality statistics. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinated 99.60159 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This place keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Interestingly, this nursing home's awful overall grade can't really be attributed to its government inspection reports. We awarded it a C for our inspections category. Our inspection ratings are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. This facility was hit with 2 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but fortunately none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This tells you that inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Does this page answer your questions about Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation?
This nursing home also didn't perform terribly in the area of nursing. In fact, we awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is another one its better scores. Our nursing score looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This facility provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually a reliable indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the final area, we awarded this nursing home a D for our short-term care category. This is the facility's worst category grade. In our short-term care rating, we endeavor to create a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we look at the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. With a grade this poor for this category, we weren't surprised to learn this facility was below average in two of the key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it supplied significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most facilities. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics was damning for this facility's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 4.81% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 94.64% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Riverview Nursing and Rehabilitation, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Boerne, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Boerne, Texas has 4 other nursing homes
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 15.49 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- South Texas Spine and Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.75 miles away18600 North Hardy Oak Blvd San Antonio Texas 78258Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 404-0800
- Methodist Stone Oak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.84 miles away1139 E Sonterra Blvd, Ste 535 San Antonio Texas 78258Proprietary(210) 638-2100
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 19.14 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 19.28 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- Boerne Dialysis Center0.89 miles away1369 Main Street Boerne Texas 78006Dialysis Stations: 12 (830) 249-1491
- Us Renal Care Boerne Dialysis1.34 miles away1595 South Main Suite 107 Boerne Texas 78006Dialysis Stations: 16 (830) 816-3030
- Fmc San Antonio, LLC15.49 miles away5418 N Loop 1604 W Ste 120 San Antonio Texas 78249Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 561-7879
- Innovative Dialysis Solutions at Home, Pllc16.15 miles away2795 Bulverde Rd Suite B Bulverde Texas 78163Dialysis Stations: 2 (830) 428-0524
- North Central Kidney Disease Center18.19 miles away116 Gallery Circle #102 San Antonio Texas 78258Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 499-4003
- Stone Oak Dialysis18.37 miles away731 Carnoustie Drive #101 San Antonio Texas 78258CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 403-2162
- Lockehill Kidney Disease Clinic18.9 miles away10134 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 641-6000
- Floyd Curl Dialysis19.26 miles away9238 Floyd Curl Drive, Suite 102 San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 561-4373