Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center is in the large metropolitan area of New Orleans, Louisiana. We gave this facility an overall grade of C. A grade of this caliber requires some respectable marks. This facility has some things working in its favor. This place didn't excel in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility earned a decent overall rating, its inspections score is notably better than its overall score. Due to a strong government inspection report this year, it earned one of our better scores in that area with a grade of B+. Our inspection scores are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we still had a generally positive view of this facility's recent inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a favorable score in long-term care. This nursing home received a grade of B+ in this category, which turns out to be one of our more impressive scores. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 95.07389 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly health condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home does not take any chances. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the category of short-term care, this facility received a grade of just D in this area. In computing our short-term care scores, we assess the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is often a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Based on its weak grade in this area, we weren't shocked to find that this nursing home provided significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most facilities. Finally, we considered the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
The final category we analyzed was nursing, proved to be this nursing home's worst category. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in that area. When calculating a nursing home's nursing grade, we look at the amount of time nurses are with patients and the level of skill of the nurses. This facility averaged just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these metrics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 9.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 3.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who have suffered a fall which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 2.79% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 16.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients which were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 1.48% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 89.54% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 17.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 15.38% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 2.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 15.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 12.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Our Lady of Wisdom Health Care Center, 64.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for New Orleans, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Orleans, Louisiana has 14 other nursing homes
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 6.12 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 7.87 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- New Orleans East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away5620 Read Blvd New Orleans Louisiana 70127Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 592-6600
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.6 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- Davita - Westbank Chronic Renal Ctr1.35 miles away3631 Behrman Pl New Orleans Louisiana 70114CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (504) 366-0808
- Davita - Algiers Dialysis1.57 miles away2924 General Degaulle Dr New Orleans Louisiana 70114Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 367-0006
- Dci - Westbank-Gretna2.17 miles away1010 Behrman Hwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 22 (504) 391-9572
- Fkc - Algiers2.24 miles away2908 General Degualle Dr New Orleans Louisiana 70114Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 227-1521
- Davita - Oakwood Dialysis2.75 miles away148 Hector Ave Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 376-1603
- Fkc - Chalmette3.11 miles away3027 Jean Lafitte Pkwy Chalmette Louisiana 70043Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 682-2877
- Fmcna - Gretna3.46 miles away959 Behrman Hgwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 391-1041
- Chalmette Dialysis Ctr4.19 miles away4020 Paris Rd Chalmette Louisiana 70043Dialysis Stations: 16 (504) 277-8423