With an address in Council Bluffs, Iowa, Midlands Living Center is one of just three facilities there. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is one of our more impressive ratings. Indeed, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it as the top facility in Council Bluffs. As you will find below, this facility also performed just fine in our category scores. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Midlands Living Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Council Bluffs senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Colostomy Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out the fact that this facility has received near flawless inspections recently. We gave them an A+ in this category. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category usually have few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing score is mostly associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Midlands Living Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this facility, we awarded them one of our better scores in our short-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at was long-term care. This facility was given a better than average nursing grade this year, with a grade of B. Even though this isn't nearly as impressive as some of its other grades, this remains one of our better scores for that area. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to provide residents with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 98.141266 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Midlands Living Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Midlands Living Center, 6.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Midlands Living Center, 3.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Midlands Living Center, 3.28% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint can be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Midlands Living Center, 17.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Midlands Living Center, 19.26% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Midlands Living Center, 4.67% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Midlands Living Center, 93.67% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Midlands Living Center, 17.07% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Midlands Living Center, 16.9% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Midlands Living Center, 1.48 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Midlands Living Center, 16.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Midlands Living Center, 12.73 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Midlands Living Center, 77.73% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Chi Health Mercy Council BluffsAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away800 Mercy Drive Council Bluffs Iowa 51503Voluntary non-profit - Private(712) 328-5000
- Methodist Jennie EdmundsonAcute Care Hospitals 1.27 miles away933 East Pierce Street Council Bluffs Iowa 51503Voluntary non-profit - Private(712) 396-6000
- Chi Health ImmanuelAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away6901 North 72nd St Omaha Nebraska 68122Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 572-2121
- Chi Health Creighton University Medical Center - BAcute Care Hospitals 10.59 miles away7500 Mercy Rd Omaha Nebraska 68124Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 398-6060
- Children's Hospital & Medical CenterChildrens 10.83 miles away8200 Dodge St Omaha Nebraska 68114Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 955-5400
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away8303 Dodge St Omaha Nebraska 68114Voluntary non-profit - Private(402) 354-4000
- Bellevue Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.87 miles away2500 Bellevue Medical Center Dr Bellevue Nebraska 68123Proprietary(402) 763-3600
- Chi Health MidlandsAcute Care Hospitals 14.95 miles away11111 South 84th St Papillion Nebraska 68046Voluntary non-profit - Church(402) 593-3000
- Council Bluffs Dialysis Center1.89 miles away300 W Broadway Suite 150 Council Bluffs Iowa 51503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (712) 388-0261
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Omaha6.93 miles away3316 Dodge St. Omaha Nebraska 68131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (402) 342-0190
- Omaha Florence Dialysis6.94 miles away7454 N 30th St Omaha Nebraska 68112Dialysis Stations: 12 (402) 451-0723
- Omaha Central Dialysis7.41 miles away144 S 40th Street Omaha Nebraska 68131Dialysis Stations: 17 (402) 558-0818
- Rai Care Center8.09 miles away4411 Center Ste A Omaha Nebraska 68105CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (402) 558-3284
- Rai Care Center - Ames Ave8.17 miles away5084 Ames Ave Omaha Nebraska 68104Dialysis Stations: 17 (402) 451-7754
- Omaha South Dialysis8.4 miles away3339 L Street Omaha Nebraska 68107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (402) 734-0772
- Sorensen Park Dialysis10.09 miles away6212 N 73rd Plaza #100 Omaha Nebraska 68134Dialysis Stations: 12 (402) 571-4147