ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton) is a large non-profit facility in Towson, Maryland. This nursing home is a subpar nursing home. A score of this caliber indicates we found a few red flags. Keep in mind that Towson received a city grade of B, so should consider other options in the city as well. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive short-term care grade. You can scroll down to find out about short-term care and other category scores
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton)
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home surprisingly received a good score in our short-term care category. We awarded it a B for that area, which is one of our better scores. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
We also gave this facility favorable marks in the area of nursing care, where it received a grade of B. There are a number of factors within this category. Most of the datapoints reflect the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton)?
This facility received mediocre government inspections in recent years. We awarded them a grade of C in this area. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Surprisingly, this place had a category J through K deficiency, which are among the worst possible categories of deficiencies. This often indicates that CMS identified a deficiency which placed patient safety or health in immediate jeopardy. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our last category, we gave this nursing home a grade of D in our long-term care category. This is the facility's weakest category score. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it generally means the nursing home did not perform well in our quality measures relating to patient care. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this facility administered the vaccine to just 88.0531 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton) Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents which experienced a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic can also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 10.18% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 92.14% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility.
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In ProMedica Skilled Nursing And Rehabilitation (Ruxton), 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Towson, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Towson, Maryland has 7 other nursing homes
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.94 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- University of Md St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away7601 Osler Drive Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 337-1000
- Medstar Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.99 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 444-3902
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 3.99 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.38 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.42 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 7.75 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, TheAcute Care Hospitals 7.88 miles away600 North Wolfe Street Baltimore Maryland 21287Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 955-9540
- Davita Dulaney Towson Dialysis Center1.04 miles away113 West Road Towson Maryland 21204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (410) 825-3690
- Fresenius Medical Care Towson1.85 miles away7801 York Road, Ste. 150 Towson Maryland 21204Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 321-0853
- Davita - Falls Road2.27 miles away1423 Clarkview Road Ste 500 Baltimore Maryland 21209CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 828-4643
- Fresenius Kidney Care Lutheran Greenspring Drive2.87 miles away1940 Greenspring Drive Lutherville Timonium Maryland 21093Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 252-2140
- Northwest Dialysis Center3.26 miles away2245 Rolling Run Dr Ste 1 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0158
- Bertha Sirk Dialysis Center3.33 miles away5820 York Rd Ste 10 Baltimore Maryland 21212Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 532-9311
- Fmc - Greater Baltimore3.76 miles away1104 Walters Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21239Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 532-0389
- Davita Loch Raven Dialysis3.78 miles away5315 York Rd Baltimore Maryland 21212Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 323-8790