Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family is a large non-profit facility in New Orleans, Louisiana. We gave this nursing home an overall rating of B+, making it ranked among the top three nursing homes in New Orleans. Even in a city offering 15 nursing homes, this facility stood out. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next section.
Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall score, we gave this nursing home an A- for our inspections rating. Inspection scores are based on many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a favorable short-term care grade. In fact, we gave it an above average score of B+ in this area. Our short-term care grades are arguably more critical for people requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically requires more highly-skilled nursing. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. We were not able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. The nursing rating weighs a number of datapoints. The most heavily weighted one is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we rated is long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility an acceptable grade of B-. This actually is this nursing home's worst area. Our long-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's amount of care. This means a vast range of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. We were disappointed to learn that this facility vaccinated only 72.04611 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 9.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents who had a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that suffered from urinary tract infections. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 22.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 1.54% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression. High rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 89.03% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 16.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' health.
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 1.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 16.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 12.9 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lafon Nursing Facility of the Holy Family, 63.81% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for New Orleans, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Orleans, Louisiana has 14 other nursing homes
- New Orleans East HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away5620 Read Blvd New Orleans Louisiana 70127Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 592-6600
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.86 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 5.77 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 7.99 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.13 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 9.86 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.95 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Davita - Nola2.44 miles away5646 Read Blvd, Ste 150 New Orleans Louisiana 70127CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (504) 248-2137
- Fkc - Gentilly3.4 miles away6101 Elysian Fields Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70122Dialysis Stations: 1 (504) 228-4380
- Fmcna - Lake Forest3.43 miles away10545 Lake Forest Blvd New Orleans Louisiana 70127Dialysis Stations: 15 (504) 248-4910
- Dci - New Orleans East3.57 miles away2077 Caton Street Suite A New Orleans Louisiana 70128Dialysis Stations: 21 (504) 242-3770
- Davita - Fleur De Lis3.65 miles away5555 Bullard Ave, Ste 110 New Orleans Louisiana 70128CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 240-2696
- Davita - Marigny Dialysis4.13 miles away2345 Saint Claude Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70117CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (504) 947-4197
- Davita - Gentilly Dialysis4.19 miles away4720 Paris Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70122Dialysis Stations: 21 (504) 283-9098
- Fkc - Chalmette4.25 miles away3027 Jean Lafitte Pkwy Chalmette Louisiana 70043Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 682-2877