Jefferson Healthcare Center is one of 15 facilities in New Orleans, Louisiana. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a solid grade. You can certainly do worse than this facility. The best part of this place's profile is its exemplary inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Jefferson Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall score is its impeccable health inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our higher scores in that area, with an A+. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall score, which was decent but certainly not elite. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively minor. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. This is definitely a good sign for this nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a favorable grade in our long-term care category. We gave this nursing home an above average grade of B in that category. For prospective patients looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 85.73825 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which happens to be slightly less than we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Jefferson Healthcare Center?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing grade. We gave this facility a score of D. The nursing score consists of a handful of factors, however, the main one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This facility performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final area, this nursing home really didn't perform very well. Due to a rock bottom grade of F in short-term care, this is this facility's weakest grade. In calculating our short-term care scores, we look at a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is often a fair assessment of the facility's rehabilitation. Based on its weak rating in this area, we weren't shocked to find that this nursing home provided far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other facilities. The last statistic we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Jefferson Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 9.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care residents that suffer from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 3.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents which experienced falls resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 2.79% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 16.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 1.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 89.54% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 17.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 15.38% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 2.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 15.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 12.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Jefferson Healthcare Center, 64.63% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for New Orleans, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Orleans, Louisiana has 14 other nursing homes
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.38 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 3.43 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.93 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 4.26 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 4.34 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Ochsner Medical Center-KennerAcute Care Hospitals 8.35 miles away180 West Esplanade Avenue Kenner Louisiana 70065Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 468-4806
- Fmcna - Ochsner New Orleans0.42 miles away630 Deckbar Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70121CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (504) 837-0021
- Davita - Metairie0.87 miles away7100 Airline Dr Metairie Louisiana 70003Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 731-1969
- Davita - Earhart2.4 miles away7730 Earhart Blvd New Orleans Louisiana 70125Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 861-1256
- Fmcna - Crescent Home Therapy3.04 miles away3030 N Arnoult, Ste B Metairie Louisiana 70002Dialysis Stations: 1 (504) 454-6989
- Fmcna - Metairie3.09 miles away4425 Utica St Metairie Louisiana 70006CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 455-5535
- Davita - Garden District Dx3.33 miles away2620 Jena New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (504) 269-6004
- Davita - Memorial Dialysis3.36 miles away4427 S Robertson St - 2nd Floor New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (504) 899-1103
- Davita - Crescent City3.4 miles away3909 Bienville Rd Ste 1b New Orleans Louisiana 70119CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 483-7117