Harmar Village Care Center is a large facility located in Cheswick, Pennsylvania. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a lower end facility. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Cheswick. The city has just one other nursing home. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Harmar Village Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
715 Freeport Road,
Cheswick PA 15024
51.53% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Harmar Village Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this nursing home a poor overall score, we actually gave it a somewhat respectable grade in the area of inspections, where we gave it a B-. This was quite a bit better than its other categories. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. This facility was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B- in the area. Our nursing rating is largely associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a relatively low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, although this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of our quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this metric.
Does this page answer your questions about Harmar Village Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable category was short-term care. We gave it a B- in this category. This is essentially a middle of the road score in this category. Our short-term care grades are important for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. It offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. The final metric we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we graded is long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of B- in that area. Our long-term care grade focuses on a nursing home's assistance with daily living instead of the highly skilled therapy or healthcare services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinates 96.21993 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Harmar Village Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Harmar Village Care Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Harmar Village Care Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Harmar Village Care Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Harmar Village Care Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Harmar Village Care Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Harmar Village Care Center, 3.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Harmar Village Care Center, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Harmar Village Care Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Harmar Village Care Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who retained mobility levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Harmar Village Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Harmar Village Care Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Harmar Village Care Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Harmar Village Care Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements.
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 5.53 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Allegheny Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away1301 Carlisle St Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 224-5100
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Forbes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.54 miles away2570 Haymaker Road Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 858-2000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.68 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 10.19 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 10.38 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Harmar Village0.04 miles away725 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 823-5422
- Davita - Harmarville Dialysis0.06 miles away791 Freeport Road Cheswick Pennsylvania 15024Dialysis Stations: 13 (724) 274-9281
- Total Renal Care, Inc.3.15 miles away1 Kensington Square B New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 8 (724) 335-2876
- Dci of New Kensington3.2 miles away722 Fourth Avenue New Kensington Pennsylvania 15068Dialysis Stations: 20 (724) 339-1772
- Davita - Penn Hills Dialysis5.32 miles away202 Rodi Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (412) 371-1102
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Penn Hills5.42 miles away11624 Keleket Drive Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15235Dialysis Stations: 13 (412) 244-3931
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shaler7.02 miles away880 Butler Street Shaler Plaza Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15223Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 782-3790
- Davita Allegheny Valley Dialysis7.44 miles away1620 Pacific Avenue Heights Plaza Shopping Center Natrona Heights Pennsylvania 15065Dialysis Stations: 11 (724) 224-4382