Grace Care Center at Northpointe is one of only two nursing homes in Tomball, Texas. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road rating. Based on the data we reviewed, there are certainly far worse places out there. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's report card is its exemplary inspection rating, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Grace Care Center at Northpointe
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Tomball senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent health inspection reports in recent years. We gave them an A in this category. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this area typically have few severe deficiencies. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also would like to note that this facility received favorable long-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our more favorable grades in that category, with a B. This turned out to be the facility's second strongest grade. For prospective residents in need of a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 82.700424 percent of its patients. This is somewhat lower than we anticipated but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Grace Care Center at Northpointe?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of C. When determining our nursing grades, we factor in both nursing hours and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. While this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it did very well in this statistic. This can be an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving patients at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated was short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is a bottom of the barrel score. This is clearly a major disappointment. Our short-term care grades are critical for residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing. This means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. With a grade this poor for this area, we were not stunned to learn that this nursing home was well below average in several staffing figures we assess. The facility supplied far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grace Care Center at Northpointe Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 2.66% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 2.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients which suffered a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 0.89% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents that have had UTI's. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 11.66% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 33.48% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 1.36% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 91.35% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 14.37% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 28.04% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 28.04% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 16.69% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 47.45% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- First Texas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.69 miles away9922 Louetta Rd Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(844) 264-1435
- St Luke's Hospital at the VintageAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away20171 Chasewood Park Drive Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(832) 534-5000
- Hca Houston Healthcare TomballAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away605 Holderrieth Tomball Texas 77375Proprietary(281) 351-1623
- Houston Methodist Willowbrook HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away18220 Tomball Parkway Houston Texas 77070Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 477-1000
- Tops Surgical Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.02 miles away17080 Red Oak Drive Houston Texas 77090Physician(281) 539-2900
- Hca Houston Healthcare NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 10.32 miles away710 Cypress Creek Parkway Houston Texas 77090Proprietary(281) 440-1000
- Intracare North HospitalPsychiatric 10.33 miles away1120 Cypress Station Dr Houston Texas 77090Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 893-7200
- Emil J Freireich Cancer CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.48 miles away9201 Pinecroft Spring Texas 77380Proprietary(855) 353-2201
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc3.3 miles away13730 Alice Rd Ste D Tomball Texas 77377Dialysis Stations: 17 (832) 639-0170
- Vintage Dialysis3.55 miles away20025 Chasewook Park Drive Houston Texas 77070Dialysis Stations: 17 (281) 251-0966
- Tomball Dialysis Center4.4 miles away27720 a Tomball Pky Tomball Texas 77375CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (281) 351-6802
- Willowbrook Dialysis5.71 miles away12120 Jones Road, Suite G Houston Texas 77070CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 890-7288
- Dialyspa Vintage Park5.86 miles away102 Vintage Park Blvd Bldg L Suite A Houston Texas 77070Dialysis Stations: 18 (713) 218-6500
- Cyfair Dialysis Center6.77 miles away9110 Jones Rd Ste 110 Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 517-0527
- Kph-Consolidation, Inc7.35 miles away21216 Northwest Fwy Ste 320 Cypress Texas 77429Dialysis Stations: 12 (832) 912-3055
- Greylock Dialysis, LLC7.47 miles away11321 Fallbrook Dr Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 890-5468