Grace Care Center at Northpointe is one of five facilities in Tomball, Texas. This nursing home is a relatively poor facility. A grade of this caliber suggests we found a few red flags. This nursing home seems to have very little working in its favor. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection rating. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Grace Care Center at Northpointe
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While we were fairly low on this facility overall, we awarded it a grade of A- for our inspections rating. This score is significantly more impressive than the facility's overall score. Our inspection grades weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid places with a bunch of severe deficiencies flagged. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. Nursing ratings are largely based on a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared with most facilities. Finally, our nursing grades also consider quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a good indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Grace Care Center at Northpointe?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home's next highest score is long-term care. As it turns out, with a D in this category, it still performed somewhat badly. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means the facility did not perform well in our measures relating to resident care. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated 85.98131 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be several points less than what we expected. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed was short-term care. This facility received a rock bottom grade of F in that category. Short-term care grades are typically employed to score a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. With its grade in this area, we were not stunned to find that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the figures we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. The final statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.7 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grace Care Center at Northpointe Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 4.81% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 94.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels.
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grace Care Center at Northpointe, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Tomball, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Tomball, Texas has 4 other nursing homes
- First Texas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.69 miles away9922 Louetta Rd Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(844) 264-1435
- St Luke's Hospital at the VintageAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away20171 Chasewood Park Drive Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(832) 534-5000
- Hca Houston Healthcare TomballAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away605 Holderrieth Tomball Texas 77375Proprietary(281) 351-1623
- Houston Methodist Willowbrook HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away18220 Tomball Parkway Houston Texas 77070Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 477-1000
- Tops Surgical Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.02 miles away17080 Red Oak Drive Houston Texas 77090Physician(281) 539-2900
- Hca Houston Healthcare NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 10.32 miles away710 Cypress Creek Parkway Houston Texas 77090Proprietary(281) 440-1000
- Intracare North HospitalPsychiatric 10.33 miles away1120 Cypress Station Dr Houston Texas 77090Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 893-7200
- Emil J Freireich Cancer CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.48 miles away9201 Pinecroft Spring Texas 77380Proprietary(855) 353-2201
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc3.3 miles away13730 Alice Rd Ste D Tomball Texas 77377Dialysis Stations: 17 (832) 639-0170
- Vintage Dialysis3.55 miles away20025 Chasewook Park Drive Houston Texas 77070Dialysis Stations: 17 (281) 251-0966
- Tomball Dialysis Center4.4 miles away27720 a Tomball Pky Tomball Texas 77375CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (281) 351-6802
- Willowbrook Dialysis5.71 miles away12120 Jones Road, Suite G Houston Texas 77070CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 890-7288
- Dialyspa Vintage Park5.86 miles away102 Vintage Park Blvd Bldg L Suite A Houston Texas 77070Dialysis Stations: 18 (713) 218-6500
- Cyfair Dialysis Center6.77 miles away9110 Jones Rd Ste 110 Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 517-0527
- Kph-Consolidation, Inc7.35 miles away21216 Northwest Fwy Ste 320 Cypress Texas 77429Dialysis Stations: 12 (832) 912-3055
- Greylock Dialysis, LLC7.47 miles away11321 Fallbrook Dr Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 890-5468