Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation is located in Monroe Township, New Jersey. The city has a population of 45,620 people. After receiving an A+ overall grade, this nursing home has the prestigious distinction of being one of the top 25 facilities in New Jersey. This is really as good of a nursing home as you'll find. Scroll down to see this facility's category grades, which are equally impressive. You really can't do much better than a straight A report card.
Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
189 Applegarth Road,
Monroe Township NJ 08831
70% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great nursing home overall, it also earned A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections are virtually flawless. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home performed remarkably in our short-term care rating. We awarded them an exemplary score of A+ in this category. Short-term care grades are commonly used to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this category is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third category, this nursing home was awarded a strong long-term care score. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a dangerous ailment for nursing home residents so we like it when a facility does not roll the dice on this issue. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Switching gears to our fourth category, this facility also performed admirably in our nursing category. We gave it an A in this area. This completed a straight A report card. Our nursing rating is largely based on the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 6.37% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 89.73% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Gardens at Monroe Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Centrastate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.05 miles away901 West Main Street Freehold New Jersey 07728Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 431-2000
- St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.98 miles away601 Hamilton Ave Trenton New Jersey 08629Voluntary non-profit - Church(609) 599-5000
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.07 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Capital Health System-Fuld CampusAcute Care Hospitals 15.1 miles away750 Brunswick Ave Trenton New Jersey 08638Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 394-6000
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.88 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 19.2 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Monmouth Medical Center-Southern CampusAcute Care Hospitals 19.74 miles away600 River Ave Lakewood New Jersey 08701Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 363-1900
- Davita Renal Ctr Monroe1.63 miles away300 Overlook Drive Bldg C Monroe Township New Jersey 08831Dialysis Stations: 18 (609) 642-8124
- Monroe Township Dialysis1.91 miles away298 Applegarth Rd Monroe Township New Jersey 08831Dialysis Stations: 10 (609) 409-4259
- Dci Monroe1.92 miles away2 Research Way Monroe Township New Jersey 08831Dialysis Stations: 12 (609) 356-7200
- Davita Freehold Dialysis7.51 miles away300 Craig Road Century Office Park Englishtown New Jersey 07726CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 303-1589
- Davita Princeton Junction Dialysis7.77 miles away88 Princeton Hightstown Road Suite 102 Princeton Junction New Jersey 08550Dialysis Stations: 13 (609) 799-0084
- Davita Plainsboro8.49 miles away100 Plainsboro Road Suite 1a Plainsboro New Jersey 08536Dialysis Stations: 9 (609) 275-5550
- Davita East Brunswick8.83 miles away629 Cranbury Rd East Brunswick New Jersey 08816CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 238-1909
- Dci Freehold8.94 miles away901 West Main St Suite 202 Freehold New Jersey 07728CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (732) 677-5200