Eastpointe Rehab Center is a large nursing home in Chelsea, Massachusetts. With an overall score of C, this is likely a solid facility. Based on our ratings, there are certainly much worse facilities out there. You also may want to review this nursing home's category grades below. We discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Eastpointe Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
255 Central Avenue,
Chelsea MA 02150
69.23% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this place earned a much better grade for long-term care than it received overall. we gave it one of our highest scores in that category with a grade of A-. For prospective patients in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. After we finished assessing the volume of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 88.51064 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Surprisingly, this facility actually received a good score in the area of inspections as well. In fact, we gave it a grade of B- for that category, which is one of our better grades. We believe that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. This facility was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Eastpointe Rehab Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Nursing scores are tied to nurse staffing levels. This facility provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a somewhat alarming figure as it is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It scored well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was short-term care, which was this facility's least impressive category. We awarded this facility a D in this area. Our short-term care grades are important for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Given its poor grade in this area, we were not stunned to learn that this nursing home provides substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Eastpointe Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained a fall leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 1.93% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 91.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility. Some believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' health.
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Eastpointe Rehab Center, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Chelsea, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Chelsea, Massachusetts has 3 other nursing homes
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 4.07 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 4.5 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.24 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 5.32 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 5.35 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Massachusetts General Hospital2.53 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Fruit St, Bigelow 10 Boston Massachusetts 02114Dialysis Stations: 11 (617) 726-3700
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc. (Dci Boston)3.22 miles away35 Kneeland Street 5th Floor Boston Massachusetts 02111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 636-6389
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)3.69 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Davita Boston Dialysis4.21 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000
- Dci Ball Square4.27 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center4.5 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Brigham and Women's Hospital4.7 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130
- Children's Hospital Boston4.7 miles awayDialysis Unit, Farley Four 300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 355-7631