Delmar Gardens North is a large facility in Florissant, Missouri. This isn't a very good nursing home with a D overall grade. Sadly, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Florissant. This facility has very little going for it. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Delmar Gardens North
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although this place's overall score was not a highlight, it actually received a very good score in the area of inspections. In fact, we gave it a B for that area, which is one of our better grades. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some can be relatively insignificant. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its next most favorable category score in the category of short-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of C in this area, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its level of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The real question is whether this adversely impacted quality of care. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Delmar Gardens North?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's next best score was long-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this category, it still fared relatively poorly. Nursing homes that do not score well in long-term care often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility provided the vaccine to only 84.803 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Switching gears to the final area, this nursing home didn't perform well here either. With a very poor grade of F in nursing, this is about as terrible as it gets. There are a host of criteria included in this grade. Many of the factors are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these data points to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Delmar Gardens North Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Delmar Gardens North, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Delmar Gardens North, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents who suffered a fall leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Delmar Gardens North, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Delmar Gardens North, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percent of long-term residents that are given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Delmar Gardens North, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Delmar Gardens North, 4.11% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Delmar Gardens North, 88.89% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Delmar Gardens North, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Delmar Gardens North, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Delmar Gardens North, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Delmar Gardens North, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Delmar Gardens North, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Delmar Gardens North, 72.5% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Florissant, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Florissant, Missouri has 9 other nursing homes
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 2.25 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 9.08 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 11.37 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.96 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.15 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.28 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- North Saint Louis County Dialysis0.83 miles away13119 New Halls Ferry Road Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 14 (314) 838-3252
- Quality Care Dialysis Centers - North County0.83 miles away6865 Parker Rd. Florissant Missouri 63033CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (314) 653-6100
- Fmc - St Louis Northeast1.46 miles away2840 Target Dr Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 355-1322
- Cross Keys Dialysis1.71 miles away14001 New Halls Ferry Rd #133 Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 839-7416
- Florissant Dialysis1.74 miles away10887 W Florissant Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63136CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 524-5737
- Metro Dialysis Center - North2 miles away2 Grandview Plaza Florissant Missouri 63033CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (314) 831-7990
- North County Dialysis Center2.24 miles away272 Mayfair Drive Florissant Missouri 63033Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 859-1234
- Fmc - Florissant2.62 miles away577 Hodershell Road Florissant Missouri 63031Dialysis Stations: 13 (314) 831-2178