Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center is a facility in Albany, New York. The city has a total of 151,022 people. This is a good facility with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Albany. Based on our assessment, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. We were also pleased to discover that this facility was consistent in all four of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A for its inspection grade. This is far more impressive than its overall grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite insignificant. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more favorable category scores came in the category of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 82.27425 percent of its residents against pneumonia. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Our nursing grade consists of many factors, however, the most important one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is short-term care. We awarded it a C in this area. This is not a bad grade in this area. Our short-term care ratings are meaningful for patients needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 4.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term care patients that sustained falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who experienced UTI's. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Albany, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Albany, New York has 4 other nursing homes
- St Peter's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.73 miles away315 South Manning Boulevard Albany New York 12208Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 525-1550
- Albany Medical Center HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.09 miles away43 New Scotland Avenue, Mail Code 34 Albany New York 12208Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 262-2400
- Albany Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away600 Northern Boulevard Albany New York 12204Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 471-3490
- Ellis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away1101 Nott Street Schenectady New York 12308Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 243-4000
- Samaritan Hospital-St Mary's CampusAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away1300 Massachusetts Avenue Troy New York 12180Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 268-5000
- Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.38 miles away2215 Burdett Avenue Troy New York 12180Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 427-3402
- Freedom Center of Westmere0.05 miles away178 Washington Ave Extension Suite 3 Albany New York 12203Dialysis Stations: 17 (518) 407-0505
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc.0.12 miles away176 Washington Ave Extension Albany New York 12203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (518) 456-2429
- Albany Medical Center5.02 miles away43 New Scotland Avenue Mail Code: 73 Peds Dialysis Unit Albany New York 12208Dialysis Stations: 6 (518) 262-3347
- Fms-Albany Regional Kidney Center5.28 miles away2 Clara Barton Drive Albany New York 12208CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (518) 434-6565
- Fms-Albany Dialysis Center5.49 miles away64 Albany Shaker Road Albany New York 12204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (518) 427-0473
- Schenectady Partners LLC6.67 miles away1594 State Street Schenectady New York 12304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (518) 382-5309
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.6.89 miles away30 Century Hill Dr Latham New York 12110Dialysis Stations: 12 (518) 783-1316
- Fms-Capital District Dialysis Center7.8 miles away650 Mcclellan Street Schenectady New York 12304CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (518) 382-0202