Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center is a facility in Albany, New York. The city has a total of 151,022 people. Sporting an overall score of B, this nursing home proved to be a slightly superior option to most of the nursing homes in Albany. Based on our analysis, this nursing home ought to meet the needs of most people. Fortunately, this nursing home didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Albany senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded a favorable long-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our better scores in that area with a score of B. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are well cared for. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 86.111115 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. This wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, but a grade in this range is not the end of the world. In determining a facility's nursing grade, we consider the number of hours nurses spend with patients and the level of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a low total compared with most nursing homes. Finally, nursing scores also factor in quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed was short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Short-term care scores are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. It doesn't look like this nursing home provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The last metric we assessed in this area is the number of patients that returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 7.41% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 2.78% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 0.5% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained a UTI. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 12.58% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 9.88% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 1.35% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 91.77% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 14.14% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 9.97% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels.
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 9.97% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 3.45% of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Daughters of Sarah Skilled Nursing Center & Rehabilitation Center, 74.4% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Albany, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Albany, New York has 3 other nursing homes
- St Peter's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.73 miles away315 South Manning Boulevard Albany New York 12208Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 525-1550
- Albany Medical Center HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.09 miles away43 New Scotland Avenue, Mail Code 34 Albany New York 12208Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 262-2400
- Albany Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away600 Northern Boulevard Albany New York 12204Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 471-3490
- Ellis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away1101 Nott Street Schenectady New York 12308Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 243-4000
- Samaritan Hospital-St Mary's CampusAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away1300 Massachusetts Avenue Troy New York 12180Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 268-5000
- Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.38 miles away2215 Burdett Avenue Troy New York 12180Voluntary non-profit - Private(518) 427-3402
- Freedom Center of Westmere0.05 miles away178 Washington Ave Extension Suite 3 Albany New York 12203Dialysis Stations: 17 (518) 407-0505
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc.0.12 miles away176 Washington Ave Extension Albany New York 12203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (518) 456-2429
- Albany Medical Center5.02 miles away43 New Scotland Avenue Mail Code: 73 Peds Dialysis Unit Albany New York 12208Dialysis Stations: 6 (518) 262-3347
- Fms-Albany Regional Kidney Center5.28 miles away2 Clara Barton Drive Albany New York 12208CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (518) 434-6565
- Fms-Albany Dialysis Center5.49 miles away64 Albany Shaker Road Albany New York 12204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (518) 427-0473
- Schenectady Partners LLC6.67 miles away1594 State Street Schenectady New York 12304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (518) 382-5309
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.6.89 miles away30 Century Hill Dr Latham New York 12110Dialysis Stations: 12 (518) 783-1316
- Fms-Capital District Dialysis Center7.8 miles away650 Mcclellan Street Schenectady New York 12304CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (518) 382-0202