Gardens Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Miami, Florida. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a good grade. Even in a city of 20 other nursing homes, this facility ought to be a quality option. This nursing home was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Gardens Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Miami senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We gave this facility an A- for our long-term care rating. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Inspections is another area where this nursing home excelled. In fact, we gave this nursing home an B+ for our inspections rating. Inspection grades weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this area tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Gardens Care Center?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. Nursing grades are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This particular nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. While this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this subcategory. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving residents more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was short-term care. This facility was given a C in the area. Our short-term care ratings are important for patients requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. It does not appear that this facility submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gardens Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gardens Care Center, 5.39% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients that suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gardens Care Center, 1.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients who suffered a fall leading to major injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gardens Care Center, 0.63% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gardens Care Center, 27.93% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gardens Care Center, 39.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gardens Care Center, 0% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gardens Care Center, 100% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gardens Care Center, 1.73% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gardens Care Center, 1.17% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry believe that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
In Gardens Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gardens Care Center, 1.17% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Gardens Care Center, 3.75% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Gardens Care Center, 18.48% of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Miami, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Miami, Florida has 19 other nursing homes
- Aventura Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away20900 Biscayne Blvd Miami Florida 33180Voluntary non-profit - Private(305) 682-7000
- South Florida State HospitalPsychiatric 4.67 miles away800 E Cypress Dr Hollywood Florida 33025Government - State(305) 967-7000
- Memorial Hospital PembrokeAcute Care Hospitals 6.19 miles away7800 Sheridan St Hollywood Florida 33024Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 962-9650
- North Shore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.2 miles away1100 Nw 95th St Miami Florida 33150Proprietary(305) 835-6000
- Memorial Hospital WestAcute Care Hospitals 8.06 miles away703 N Flamingo Rd Pembroke Pines Florida 33028Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 436-5000
- Hialeah HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.64 miles away651 E 25th St Hialeah Florida 33013Proprietary(305) 693-6100
- Palmetto General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.31 miles away2001 W 68th St Hialeah Florida 33016Proprietary(305) 823-5000
- Larkin Community Hospital Palm Springs CampusAcute Care Hospitals 9.37 miles away1475 W 49th St Hialeah Florida 33012Voluntary non-profit - Private(305) 558-2500
- Physicians North Beach0.87 miles away17801 Nw 2nd Ave Suite 229 Miami Florida 33169CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (305) 653-7222
- Greater Miami Dialysis1.06 miles away160 Nw 176th St #100 Miami Florida 33169CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (305) 653-6033
- Miami Regional Dialysis Center Inc1.32 miles away100 Nw 170th St Ste 106 Miami Florida 33169CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (305) 650-8822
- Miami Regional Dialysis Center West LLC1.32 miles away900 Park Centre Blvd #400-C Miami Florida 33169Dialysis Stations: 16 (305) 625-7125
- Venture Dialysis Center2.44 miles away1680 Ne 164th St Miami Florida 33162Dialysis Stations: 16 (305) 787-7345
- Golden Glades Dialysis2.94 miles away15600 Nw 15th Ave #D Miami Florida 33169CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (305) 621-1328
- First Prevention & Dialysis Center, LLC3.14 miles away17940 Nw 27th Avenue Miami Gardens Florida 33056Dialysis Stations: 14 (305) 621-8899
- Renal Carepartners at Memorial West LLC3.43 miles away601 N Flamingo Road Ste 109 Pembroke Pines Florida 33028CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 362-5010