Gardens Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Miami, Florida. This nursing home was awarded an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a well below average rating. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Gardens Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Gardens Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a B- for inspections. This score is better than the facility's overall score. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively minor. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second best area is its short-term care score, where it was given a grade of B-. Our short-term care ratings are vital for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing services. This means a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Gardens Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at was long-term care, where this facility was given a B- in this area. In computing our long-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 93.315506 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is slightly lower than we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Nevertheless, this nursing home excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The final area we graded was nursing. For this category, we gave this facility a C. Our nursing rating looks at the facility's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, while this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of our quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this statistic.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gardens Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gardens Care Center, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gardens Care Center, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients who suffered a fall leading to major injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gardens Care Center, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gardens Care Center, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gardens Care Center, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gardens Care Center, 2.43% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gardens Care Center, 94.61% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gardens Care Center, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gardens Care Center, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry believe that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
In Gardens Care Center, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gardens Care Center, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Gardens Care Center, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Gardens Care Center, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Miami, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Miami, Florida has 34 other nursing homes
- Aventura Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away20900 Biscayne Blvd Miami Florida 33180Voluntary non-profit - Private(305) 682-7000
- South Florida State HospitalPsychiatric 4.67 miles away800 E Cypress Dr Hollywood Florida 33025Government - State(305) 967-7000
- Memorial Hospital PembrokeAcute Care Hospitals 6.19 miles away7800 Sheridan St Hollywood Florida 33024Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 962-9650
- North Shore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.2 miles away1100 Nw 95th St Miami Florida 33150Proprietary(305) 835-6000
- Memorial Hospital WestAcute Care Hospitals 8.06 miles away703 N Flamingo Rd Pembroke Pines Florida 33028Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 436-5000
- Hialeah HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.64 miles away651 E 25th St Hialeah Florida 33013Proprietary(305) 693-6100
- Palmetto General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.31 miles away2001 W 68th St Hialeah Florida 33016Proprietary(305) 823-5000
- Larkin Community Hospital Palm Springs CampusAcute Care Hospitals 9.37 miles away1475 W 49th St Hialeah Florida 33012Voluntary non-profit - Private(305) 558-2500
- Physicians North Beach0.87 miles away17801 Nw 2nd Ave Suite 229 Miami Florida 33169CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (305) 653-7222
- Greater Miami Dialysis1.06 miles away160 Nw 176th St #100 Miami Florida 33169CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (305) 653-6033
- Miami Regional Dialysis Center Inc1.32 miles away100 Nw 170th St Ste 106 Miami Florida 33169CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (305) 650-8822
- Miami Regional Dialysis Center West LLC1.32 miles away900 Park Centre Blvd #400-C Miami Florida 33169Dialysis Stations: 16 (305) 625-7125
- Venture Dialysis Center2.44 miles away1680 Ne 164th St Miami Florida 33162Dialysis Stations: 16 (305) 787-7345
- Golden Glades Dialysis2.94 miles away15600 Nw 15th Ave #D Miami Florida 33169CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (305) 621-1328
- First Prevention & Dialysis Center, LLC3.14 miles away17940 Nw 27th Avenue Miami Gardens Florida 33056Dialysis Stations: 14 (305) 621-8899
- Renal Carepartners at Memorial West LLC3.43 miles away601 N Flamingo Road Ste 109 Pembroke Pines Florida 33028CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 362-5010