Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center is a facility in Fort Wayne, Indiana which has 305,409 people. We gave this nursing home an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 26 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We really could not find anything positive to say about this facility. It received a lowly D in the area of short-term care. In our short-term care category, we strive to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze a nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Given its grade in this category, we were not surprised to find that this place was well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection grade. More often than not, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. When a nursing home has this bad of an inspection score, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This nursing home had 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they posed a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Does this page answer your questions about Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, we gave this facility an F for its long-term care score. Nursing homes that do not fare well in this category often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in a few of the areas of routine healthcare services we looked at. After looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home vaccinated 80.49645 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is quite a bit lower than the national average. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
The next category we assessed was nursing. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this category, which is a bottom of the barrel score. The nursing grade includes a host of subcategories. The most heavily weighted one is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. With only 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient each day, this facility's nurse staffing levels were far below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 12.38% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 91.56% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Covington Manor Health and Rehabilitation Center, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 2.36 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 9.77 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 10.56 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.72 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Parkview Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.04 miles away2001 Stults Rd Huntington Indiana 46750Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 355-3000
- Davita - Appleseed0.61 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Davita - Fort Wayne West1.04 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Fmc - Northeast Indiana Kidney Ctr - Fort Wayne1.55 miles away7836 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite ll10 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (260) 432-4225
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC3.57 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582
- Davita - Fort Wayne South4.49 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis6.9 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis9.11 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis9.77 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255