Colonial Oaks Living Center is one of just a few facilities in Metairie, Louisiana. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack grade. Based on all of the relevant data, there are definitely far worse nursing homes out there. The best part of this nursing home's report card is its exemplary inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Colonial Oaks Living Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Metairie senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall score, we gave this nursing home an A+ for its inspection grade. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we had positive view of this nursing home's inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's long-term care grade turns out to be one of its best scores. The nursing home received a grade of B- in this category. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's assistance with daily living instead of the highly skilled nursing or medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 97.872345 percent of its residents, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Colonial Oaks Living Center?
Next we looked at nursing grades, where this nursing home received an F, which is a rock bottom grade. This area was definitely not a strength for this facility. There are a number of factors within this grade. Most of these subcategories are tied to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive area is short-term care, which is the final area we scored. We gave it an abysmal F for this category. Even with some respectable grades in other areas, this grade is nevertheless concerning so we would like to to make sure you are aware. In our short-term care assessment, we attempt to forge a valuable measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the nursing home's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Colonial Oaks Living Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 10% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 2.69% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 16.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 22.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 1.51% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 85.51% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 19.03% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 13.75% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 2.4 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 13.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 13.45 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 67.8% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.17 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.98 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- Ochsner Medical Center-KennerAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away180 West Esplanade Avenue Kenner Louisiana 70065Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 468-4806
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 7.21 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.39 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 7.91 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.65 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Fmcna - Metairie0.81 miles away4425 Utica St Metairie Louisiana 70006CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 455-5535
- Fmcna - Ochsner North Arnoult1.1 miles away3030 N Arnoult Rd, Ste A Metairie Louisiana 70002Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 457-3498
- Fmcna - Crescent Home Therapy1.29 miles away3030 N Arnoult, Ste B Metairie Louisiana 70002Dialysis Stations: 1 (504) 454-6989
- Metairie Kidney Ctr2.62 miles away4424 Conlin St Ste 1a Metairie Louisiana 70006Dialysis Stations: 8 (504) 887-8319
- Davita - Metairie3.24 miles away7100 Airline Dr Metairie Louisiana 70003Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 731-1969
- Fkc - Kenner Home Therapies3.57 miles away3409 Williams Blvd, Suite 2 Kenner Louisiana 70065Dialysis Stations: 6 (504) 305-1980
- Fmcna - Ochsner New Orleans3.71 miles away630 Deckbar Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70121CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (504) 837-0021
- Fmcna - Kenner Dialysis5.09 miles away2717 Decatur St Kenner Louisiana 70062Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 469-1075