Colonial Oaks Living Center is one of four facilities in Metairie, Louisiana. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road score. Based on our assessment, there are definitely much worse facilities out there. The best part of this nursing home's report card is its remarkable inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Colonial Oaks Living Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that Colonial Oaks Living Center has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its decent overall grade, we gave this facility an A+ for our inspections rating. This is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a strong score in long-term care. This facility earned a grade of B in this area, which happens to be one of our higher grades. Facilities that receive this type of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are well cared for. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 94.071144 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is better than the average nursing home. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Colonial Oaks Living Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed is short-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of C in this category. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. It does not appear that this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
The next area we scored was nursing, is this facility's worst area. We gave this nursing home a D in this category. This really was one of the couple of weak points of a very solid report card. Our nursing grade includes several data points. The most heavily weighted factor is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day, this place's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Colonial Oaks Living Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 9.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 22.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 1.54% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. High rates of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 89.03% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 16.37% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 1.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 16.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 12.9 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Colonial Oaks Living Center, 63.81% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Metairie, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Metairie, Louisiana has 3 other nursing homes
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.17 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.98 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- Ochsner Medical Center-KennerAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away180 West Esplanade Avenue Kenner Louisiana 70065Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 468-4806
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 7.21 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.39 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 7.91 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.65 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Fmcna - Metairie0.81 miles away4425 Utica St Metairie Louisiana 70006CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 455-5535
- Fmcna - Ochsner North Arnoult1.1 miles away3030 N Arnoult Rd, Ste A Metairie Louisiana 70002Dialysis Stations: 13 (504) 457-3498
- Fmcna - Crescent Home Therapy1.29 miles away3030 N Arnoult, Ste B Metairie Louisiana 70002Dialysis Stations: 1 (504) 454-6989
- Metairie Kidney Ctr2.62 miles away4424 Conlin St Ste 1a Metairie Louisiana 70006Dialysis Stations: 8 (504) 887-8319
- Davita - Metairie3.24 miles away7100 Airline Dr Metairie Louisiana 70003Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 731-1969
- Fkc - Kenner Home Therapies3.57 miles away3409 Williams Blvd, Suite 2 Kenner Louisiana 70065Dialysis Stations: 6 (504) 305-1980
- Fmcna - Ochsner New Orleans3.71 miles away630 Deckbar Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70121CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (504) 837-0021
- Fmcna - Kenner Dialysis5.09 miles away2717 Decatur St Kenner Louisiana 70062Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 469-1075