Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center is a large nursing home located in Houston, Texas. With an overall score of F, we consider this to be a very poor facility. Based on our ratings, this facility probably isn't a fit for any prospective resident. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Aug 1, 2020 by Nick Reese
Note: Data for Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Although this place's overall score was as bad as it gets, it actually fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ for that area, which is one of our better scores. Inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. You should especially avoid facilities with severe deficiencies linked to risks to resident well being. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Despite this deficiency, this was still a relatively favorable inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home a grade of just D for our long-term care score and that actually turned out to be its next highest score. For prospective residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 98.41987 percent of its residents, which is more than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. There are many subcategories included in this area. Many of these subcategories relate to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth area, this nursing home really didn't perform well here either. Due to a very poor grade of F in short-term care, this is about as terrible as it gets. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This area is often a solid assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. Considering its grade in this area, we weren't stunned to learn that this nursing home is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the data we looked at. Honestly, this was about what we expected here. The last statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics was damning for this nursing home's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care patients who suffered falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 4.84% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 93.69% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 1.89 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookhollow Heights Transitional Care Center, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 24 other nursing homes
- Memorial Hermann Hospital SystemAcute Care Hospitals 0.09 miles away1635 North Loop West Houston Texas 77008Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 448-6796
- United Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.84 miles away510 W Tidwell Houston Texas 77091Physician(713) 691-1111
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away1401 St. Joseph Parkway Houston Texas 77002Proprietary(713) 757-1000
- Park Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.68 miles away1313 Hermann Dr Houston Texas 77004Proprietary(713) 527-5019
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.04 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.12 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.2 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Texas Childrens HospChildrens 7.3 miles away6621 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 824-1000
- Fresenius Medical Care Ella, LLC0.17 miles away1900 North Loop W Ste 200 Houston Texas 77018CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 773-1717
- Tc Jester Dialysis0.21 miles away1800 West 26th Street Suite #101 Houston Texas 77008CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (713) 863-0463
- Elik Dialysis Home Therapy0.39 miles away1445 North Loop West Suite 720 Houston Texas 77008Dialysis Stations: 1 (713) 861-7500
- Sng-Renal Solutions Dialysis Center, Lp0.78 miles away2756 West Tc Jester Blvd Houston Texas 77018Dialysis Stations: 10 (713) 680-9056
- Heights Dialysis1.76 miles away739 E 20th Street Houston Texas 77008Dialysis Stations: 16 (713) 802-0542
- Northwest Kidney Center1.9 miles away10985 Northwest Freeway Houston Texas 77092CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 812-1217
- Brookhollow Dialysis1.94 miles away4918 West 34th Street Houston Texas 77092CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (713) 681-3043
- Bothwell Dialysis LLC2.06 miles away8787 Fallbrook Dr Houston Texas 77064Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 477-7878