Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center is a large non-profit nursing home located in Avon, Indiana. Featuring an overall score of B-, this is likely a middle of the pack facility. In a city without an elite selection of nursing homes, this facility proved to be better than most of the alternatives in Avon. This nursing home was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Avon senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home excelled in the area of short-term care, with an A- in this category. In the area of short-term care, we strive to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. It does not appear that this facility provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Inspections is another area where this facility excelled. We awarded this facility an B+ for our inspections rating. This grade is far more impressive than its overall grade. Our inspection grades account for several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this category tend to have very few severe deficiencies. This facility was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a decent grade in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. Our long-term care scores are pivotal for patients looking for non-healthcare services such as personal care. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is better than the vast majority of nursing homes. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning to the final area, this facility was awarded a grade of C in nursing, which we consider to be an acceptable score. When computing a facility's nursing grade, we weigh the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of training of those nurses. This nursing home provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a somewhat discouraging figure as it is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. It performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term patients who developed pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 4.27% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who have experienced a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 16.39% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 14.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 0.98% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 100% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.47% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 8.39% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 8.39% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 16.45% of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 85.24% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Avon, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Avon, Indiana has 3 other nursing homes
- Hendricks Regional HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away1000 E Main St Danville Indiana 46122Government - Local(317) 745-4451
- St Vincent Neighborhood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.32 miles away9613 East Us Highway 36 Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 703-1999
- Iu Health West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away1111 N Ronald Reagan Pkwy Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 217-3000
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 11.65 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 14.95 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 15.47 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 17.3 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 18.99 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Fmc - Hendricks County2.19 miles away1594 E Main Street Danville Indiana 46122Dialysis Stations: 21 (317) 718-0347
- Davita - Plainfield6.05 miles away8110 Network Drive Plainfield Indiana 46168CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 838-8089
- Davita - Avon Dialysis6.57 miles away9210 Rockville Road, Ste D Indianapolis Indiana 46234Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 209-2544
- Davita - Brownsburg Clinic7.54 miles away124 East Northfield Drive Brownsburg Indiana 46112Dialysis Stations: 10 (317) 858-3561
- Fmc - Indianapolis-West9.92 miles away805 Beachway Drive Suite 100 Indianapolis Indiana 46224Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 484-3550
- Davita - Eagle Highlands10.3 miles away6925 Shore Terrace Indianapolis Indiana 46254Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 295-0423
- Davita - Westview Dialysis12.73 miles away3749 Commercial Dr. Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (317) 299-4693
- Us Renal Care- Nw Indianapolis Renal Center12.74 miles away6488 Corporate Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46268CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 328-9667