Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center is a large non-profit nursing home located in Avon, Indiana. Featuring an overall score of C, this is likely a middle of the pack facility. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Avon, which admittedly is admittedly a little below average nationally. This place did not meet our expectations in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
4171 Forest Pointe Circle,
Avon IN 46123
84.52% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our inspection ratings are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a B+ in our short-term care category. This is one of our higher scores. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. It does not look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 7.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third best category was long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C. Our long-term care scores are more important for residents requiring more conventional assistance associated with personal care. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning to our fourth category, we awarded this facility a grade of D for the area of nursing. This was the facility's worst category score. The nursing rating includes several factors. The most important factor is the number of hours nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This facility fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 12.89% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 91.48% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' well-being.
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Avon, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Avon, Indiana has 3 other nursing homes
- Hendricks Regional HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away1000 E Main St Danville Indiana 46122Government - Local(317) 745-4451
- St Vincent Neighborhood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.32 miles away9613 East Us Highway 36 Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 703-1999
- Iu Health West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away1111 N Ronald Reagan Pkwy Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 217-3000
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 11.65 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 14.95 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 15.47 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 17.3 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 18.99 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Fmc - Hendricks County2.19 miles away1594 E Main Street Danville Indiana 46122Dialysis Stations: 21 (317) 718-0347
- Davita - Plainfield6.05 miles away8110 Network Drive Plainfield Indiana 46168CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 838-8089
- Davita - Avon Dialysis6.57 miles away9210 Rockville Road, Ste D Indianapolis Indiana 46234Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 209-2544
- Davita - Brownsburg Clinic7.54 miles away124 East Northfield Drive Brownsburg Indiana 46112Dialysis Stations: 10 (317) 858-3561
- Fmc - Indianapolis-West9.92 miles away805 Beachway Drive Suite 100 Indianapolis Indiana 46224Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 484-3550
- Davita - Eagle Highlands10.3 miles away6925 Shore Terrace Indianapolis Indiana 46254Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 295-0423
- Davita - Westview Dialysis12.73 miles away3749 Commercial Dr. Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (317) 299-4693
- Us Renal Care- Nw Indianapolis Renal Center12.74 miles away6488 Corporate Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46268CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 328-9667