Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center is a large non-profit nursing home located in Avon, Indiana. Featuring an overall score of C, this is likely a middle of the pack facility. Based on our analysis, there are certainly far worse places out there. This facility was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively minor. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was awarded positive short-term care marks in this assessment. We awarded them one of our more impressive scores in that area, with a B. This proved to be the nursing home's second highest score. In computing our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is frequently a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services. It does not appear that this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best area turned out to be long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a C. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is more than most nursing homes. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Our next category is nursing, where we gave this nursing home a grade of C in that category. We scrutinized the qualifications of nurses working for the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours those nurses worked with residents, in computing our rating in this category. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 12.38% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 91.56% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avon Health & Rehabilitation Center, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Avon, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Avon, Indiana has 3 other nursing homes
- Hendricks Regional HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away1000 E Main St Danville Indiana 46122Government - Local(317) 745-4451
- St Vincent Neighborhood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.32 miles away9613 East Us Highway 36 Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 703-1999
- Iu Health West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away1111 N Ronald Reagan Pkwy Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 217-3000
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 11.65 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 14.95 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 15.47 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 17.3 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 18.99 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Fmc - Hendricks County2.19 miles away1594 E Main Street Danville Indiana 46122Dialysis Stations: 21 (317) 718-0347
- Davita - Plainfield6.05 miles away8110 Network Drive Plainfield Indiana 46168CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 838-8089
- Davita - Avon Dialysis6.57 miles away9210 Rockville Road, Ste D Indianapolis Indiana 46234Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 209-2544
- Davita - Brownsburg Clinic7.54 miles away124 East Northfield Drive Brownsburg Indiana 46112Dialysis Stations: 10 (317) 858-3561
- Fmc - Indianapolis-West9.92 miles away805 Beachway Drive Suite 100 Indianapolis Indiana 46224Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 484-3550
- Davita - Eagle Highlands10.3 miles away6925 Shore Terrace Indianapolis Indiana 46254Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 295-0423
- Davita - Westview Dialysis12.73 miles away3749 Commercial Dr. Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (317) 299-4693
- Us Renal Care- Nw Indianapolis Renal Center12.74 miles away6488 Corporate Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46268CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 328-9667