Avalon Care Center - Federal Way is an average-sized nursing home located in Federal Way, Washington. With an overall rating of C, this is likely a decent nursing home. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Federal Way, which admittedly is admittedly a little below average nationally. The best part of this place's report card is its remarkable nursing score. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Avalon Care Center - Federal Way
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but it really excelled in the area of nursing care, with an impressive grade of A in this category. In determining our nursing scores, we assess both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
An additional strength of this facility is its elite score in short-term care. We gave them one of our more favorable scores in that category, with a score of A. In the category of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Care Center - Federal Way?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was long-term care, where this facility was given a B- in this area. In the category of long-term care, we focus on the amount of care provided by a nursing home, rather than more medically-intensive services. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In our last category of inspections, this nursing home received an F in this area. This score was very detrimental to this nursing home's overall grade. For facilities with poor inspection grades, you should focus on any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This nursing home had 5 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 22 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Care Center - Federal Way Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 6.98% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 3.03% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who suffered falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 2.22% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients that have experienced UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 13.94% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 12.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 13.68% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 93.98% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 13.82% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 23.27% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 23.27 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 11.24 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avalon Care Center - Federal Way, 74.06% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Federal Way, WA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of D
Looking for more options? Federal Way, Washington has 3 other nursing homes
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.62 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- Multicare Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.73 miles away401 15th Avenue Se Puyallup Washington 98372Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 697-2102
- Highline Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.98 miles away16251 Sylvester Road Sw Seattle Washington 98166Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 244-9970
- Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.24 miles away400 S 43rd St Renton Washington 98055Government - Hospital District or Authority(425) 228-3450
- Multicare Covington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.26 miles away17700 Se 272nd St Kent Washington 98042Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 372-7400
- St Clare HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.97 miles away11315 Bridgeport Way S W Lakewood Washington 98499Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 588-1711
- Nkc Federal Way West Campus0.13 miles away501 South 336th St., Suite 110 Federal Way Washington 98003Dialysis Stations: 7 (253) 943-6312
- Federal Way Community Dialysis Center0.81 miles away1015 S 348th St Federal Way Washington 98003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 661-9055
- Nkc Federal Way East Kidney Center1.92 miles away33820 Weyerhaeuser Way S Ste 100 Auburn Washington 98001Dialysis Stations: 14 (253) 943-6262
- Nkc Fife Kidney Center3.77 miles away6021 12th Street E, Suite 110 Tacoma Washington 98424Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 943-6335
- Nkc Auburn Kidney Center4.05 miles away1501 West Valley Highway N Auburn Washington 98001CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 804-8323
- Total Renal Care, Inc4.11 miles away27320 Pacific Hwy S Federal Way Washington 98003Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 529-7825
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.6.61 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Dialysis Stations: 20 (253) 627-1995
- Nkc Kent Kidney Center6.61 miles away25316 74th Ave S Ste 101 Kent Washington 98032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (253) 850-6810