Applewood Living Center is a nursing home located in Longmont, Colorado, which has a population of 117,461 people. This nursing home turns out to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. You could definitely do worse than this nursing home. This place is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Applewood Living Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Longmont senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home earned a decent overall score, its inspections score is notably better than its overall grade. Due to a strong government inspection report this year, it earned one of our better scores in that area with a grade of B+. Inspection ratings are tied to pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this category typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our nursing category. This is one of our better grades. In determining a nursing home's nursing score, we weigh the amount of time nurses are seeing residents and the level of licensure of those nurses. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving patients even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Applewood Living Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a solid grade in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a B-. In our short-term care grade, we try to create a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth category, this facility was given a C in long-term care, which is generally a decent grade. Long-term care grades are essential for people needing personal care. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. We were concerned by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated just 29.230768 percent of its patients against pneumonia. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Applewood Living Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Applewood Living Center, 5.67% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Applewood Living Center, 3.72% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients which suffered a fall resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Applewood Living Center, 2.04% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that suffered from UTI's. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Applewood Living Center, 17.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Applewood Living Center, 12.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Applewood Living Center, 3.91% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Applewood Living Center, 84.62% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Applewood Living Center, 15.34% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Applewood Living Center, 16.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Applewood Living Center, 1.17 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Applewood Living Center, 16.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Applewood Living Center, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Applewood Living Center, 76.2% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Longmont United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.24 miles away1950 Mountain View Ave Longmont Colorado 80501Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 651-5111
- Foothills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.03 miles away4747 Arapahoe Avenue Boulder Colorado 80303Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 415-7000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.82 miles away200 Exempla Circle Lafayette Colorado 80026Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 689-4000
- Centura Health-Avista Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.04 miles away100 Health Park Dr Louisville Colorado 80027Voluntary non-profit - Church(303) 673-1280
- Mckee Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.38 miles away2000 Boise Ave Loveland Colorado 80538Voluntary non-profit - Private(970) 669-4640
- St Anthony North Health CampusAcute Care Hospitals 17.06 miles away14300 Orchard Pkwy Broomfield Colorado 80023Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 627-0000
- Medical Center of the RockiesAcute Care Hospitals 17.28 miles away2500 Rocky Mountain Avenue Loveland Colorado 80538Voluntary non-profit - Private(970) 624-2500
- Uchealth Broomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.83 miles away11820 Destination Drive Broomfield Colorado 80021Proprietary(303) 460-6000
- Longmont Dialysis (Dva)0.74 miles away1715 Iron Horse Dr Ste 170 Longmont Colorado 80501Dialysis Stations: 18 (303) 485-4084
- Kidney Center on Main (Ara)1.19 miles away2144 Main St Ste 2 Longmont Colorado 80501Dialysis Stations: 14 (303) 485-8911
- Kidney Center of Longmont (Ara)2.77 miles away1960 Ken Pratt Blvd Ste A Longmont Colorado 80501Dialysis Stations: 20 (303) 485-7100
- Kidney Center of Frederick9.64 miles away5992 Iris Parkway Longmont Colorado 80504Dialysis Stations: 13 (303) 833-1381
- Boulder Dialysis (Dva)12.95 miles away2880 Folsom St Ste 110 Boulder Colorado 80304Dialysis Stations: 14 (303) 440-5600
- Kidney Center of Lafayette (Ara)13.14 miles away2655 Crescent Dr Ste C Lafayette Colorado 80026CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (720) 890-4661
- Loveland Central Dialysis (Dva)15.26 miles away1453 N Denver Ave Loveland Colorado 80538Dialysis Stations: 12 (970) 663-4607
- Loveland Dialysis (Fmc)16.85 miles away2940 Ginnala Dr Loveland Colorado 80538CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (970) 663-9155