Alden Poplar Creek is a very-large nursing home located in Hoffman Estate, Illinois. With an overall score of B-, this is likely a solid nursing home. Based on our assessment, this facility has some redeeming qualities. We were also pleased to discover that this facility was consistent in all four of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Alden Poplar Creek
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Hoffman Estate senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Part of the reason this proved to be a decent nursing home is it earned a very favorable nursing rating. Its nursing score is its best category. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B+. Nursing ratings are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This facility's inspection rating exceeded its overall score as well. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with a B. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively minor. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Alden Poplar Creek?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable area was long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B-. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the factors we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 93.535355 percent of its patients. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we scored was short-term care. We awarded it a C in this area. This is a decent grade in this area. Our short-term care scores are vital for individuals requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Alden Poplar Creek Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Alden Poplar Creek, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Alden Poplar Creek, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which experienced a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Alden Poplar Creek, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Alden Poplar Creek, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Alden Poplar Creek, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents that were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Alden Poplar Creek, 31.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Alden Poplar Creek, 87.05% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Alden Poplar Creek, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Alden Poplar Creek, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels.
In Alden Poplar Creek, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Alden Poplar Creek, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Alden Poplar Creek, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Alden Poplar Creek, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.05 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 3.06 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 7.83 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 9.46 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.65 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.96 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.34 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Ara - South Barrington Dialysis Center1.62 miles away33 W Higgins Road, Suites 920-945 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 783-4700
- Fmc - Hoffman Estates2.8 miles away3150 W Higgins Rd Suite 190 Schaumburg Illinois 60195CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 310-0074
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis3.5 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Fmc - Schaumburg3.99 miles away815 West Wise Road Schaumburg Illinois 60193Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 534-0190
- Davita - Schaumburg Renal Center4.55 miles away1156 S. Roselle Rd. Schaumburg Illinois 60193CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (847) 524-4310
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis6.47 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386
- Fmc - Rolling Meadows7.1 miles away4180 Winnetka Ave. Rolling Meadows Illinois 60008CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (847) 394-6250
- Fmc - Elk Grove Dialysis Ctr7.27 miles away901 Biesterfield Road Ste 400 Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (847) 437-0824