Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center is a large facility located in Dunellen, New Jersey. It looks like this facility is a well below average nursing home. A score of this caliber indicates we found some red flags. As far as we can see, we'd struggle to recommend this place. If you aren't deterred by this facility's report card, you can continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not a highlight, it did receive a very good score in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection grades account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid facilities with a list of severe deficiencies flagged. This place was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
The next best category we gave this nursing home in any category came in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of B-. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The real question is whether this also affected quality of care. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center?
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is not a bad score. Our nursing score focuses on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This facility provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at was long-term care. We gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is an abysmal grade. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the factors we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this facility also keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percentage of long-term care patients that experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric may be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 5.95% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 91.97% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.47 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away110 Rehill Ave Somerville New Jersey 08876Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 685-2200
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 8.9 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.26 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 11.28 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Morristown Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away100 Madison Ave Morristown New Jersey 07960Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 971-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.43 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Fmc So Plainfield2.56 miles away2201 S Clinton Ave South Plainfield New Jersey 07080Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 668-8007
- Dva Plainfield Dialysis Center2.98 miles away1200 Randolph Road Kenyon House Plainfield New Jersey 07060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 757-6030
- Davita Durham Corners4.27 miles away241 Durham Avenue South Plainfield New Jersey 07080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 222-2971
- Fmc Edison4.85 miles away2 Olsen Ave Edison New Jersey 08820Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 549-3286
- Davita Bridgewater Dialysis Ctr4.88 miles away2121 Route 22 West Bound Brook New Jersey 08805CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (732) 469-7202
- Dva Edison6.42 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883
- Fresenius Medical Care Piscataway6.51 miles away1135 Easton Ave Somerset New Jersey 08875Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 220-1043
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis6.9 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714