Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center is a large facility located in Dunellen, New Jersey. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack grade. Based on our assessment, this nursing home would be a solid choice for most people. This facility did not excel in every category we looked at, but it didn't receive any rock-bottom grades either. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Dunellen senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received an inspection grade which is stronger than its overall rating. Inspection scores are based on the nursing home's recent government inspections. We awarded this facility an above average grade of B+ in this category. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility an B-. The nursing grade is based on quite a few subcategories, many of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This facility averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It scored well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable category is its short-term care score, where it was awarded a B-. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for individuals in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The final item we considered in this category is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated was long-term care, which was this facility's worst area. We awarded this facility a grade of D in this category. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 97.24311 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term care residents which have experienced a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who have suffered from UTI's. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 6.37% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 89.73% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels.
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Abingdon Care & Rehabilitation Center, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.47 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away110 Rehill Ave Somerville New Jersey 08876Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 685-2200
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 8.9 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.26 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 11.28 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Morristown Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away100 Madison Ave Morristown New Jersey 07960Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 971-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.43 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Fmc So Plainfield2.56 miles away2201 S Clinton Ave South Plainfield New Jersey 07080Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 668-8007
- Dva Plainfield Dialysis Center2.98 miles away1200 Randolph Road Kenyon House Plainfield New Jersey 07060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 757-6030
- Davita Durham Corners4.27 miles away241 Durham Avenue South Plainfield New Jersey 07080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 222-2971
- Fmc Edison4.85 miles away2 Olsen Ave Edison New Jersey 08820Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 549-3286
- Davita Bridgewater Dialysis Ctr4.88 miles away2121 Route 22 West Bound Brook New Jersey 08805CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (732) 469-7202
- Dva Edison6.42 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883
- Fresenius Medical Care Piscataway6.51 miles away1135 Easton Ave Somerset New Jersey 08875Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 220-1043
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis6.9 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714