Wynhoven Health Care Center is a facility located in Marrero, Louisiana. This city has a total of 56,344 people. With an overall score of B-, this is a respectable facility. Based on our analysis, there are definitely far worse facilities out there. The best part of this place's report card is its exemplary inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Wynhoven Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Marrero senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our best scores. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. You can not do much better than a deficiency-free inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more impressive category grades came in the area of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 50.295856 percent of its patients. This is slightly below what we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, we were pleased to find nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Wynhoven Health Care Center?
Another strength of this facility is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an impressive grade of D. Our nursing score looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This facility performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive category is short-term care, which is the last area we analyzed. For this category, we gave this nursing home a grade of D. In computing our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. In this nursing home's case, we found that it provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wynhoven Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 10.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 2.07% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients which sustained a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 0.3% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 9.94% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 10.93% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 0% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 60.82% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 24.6% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 23.4% of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 23.4% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 57.85% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.04 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 2.36 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 2.57 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.58 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.98 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.81 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- Fmcna - Marrero0.31 miles away7325 Westbank Expressway Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 348-1845
- Fmcna - Westbank0.49 miles away5301 Westbank Expwy Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 340-8577
- Fmcna - Barataria1.06 miles away1849 Barataria Blvd Ste A Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 347-4228
- Davita - Marrero Dialysis Center1.14 miles away1908 Jutland Dr Harvey Louisiana 70058CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 347-6224
- Davita - New Orleans Uptown Dialysis2.21 miles away1401 Foucher St 4th Fl-Dialysis Unit New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 897-8530
- New Orleans Kidney Ctr2.41 miles away3434 Prytania Ste 200 New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (504) 899-8414
- Childrens Hospital-Dialysis2.58 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Dialysis Stations: 8 (504) 896-2061
- Fmcna - Gretna3.03 miles away959 Behrman Hgwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 391-1041