Wynhoven Health Care Center is a facility located in Marrero, Louisiana. This city has a total of 56,344 people. With an overall score of B, this is a fine facility. Based on our analysis, you could do much worse than this nursing home. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Wynhoven Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this place really excelled in our inspections category, where it earned an A+. Not many facilities fared better in that area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility performed well in the category of long-term care. In fact, we gave it a score of A for that area, which is one of our best scores. For prospective patients looking for a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 78.48485 percent of its patients. This is a few points less than we expected but still a respectable figure. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Wynhoven Health Care Center?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this was not one of this facility's strong suits. We awarded it a grade of D in this category. Clearly, this facility performed much better in the categories discussed above. The nursing rating considers a host of datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at is short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in short-term care, leaving this as the nursing home's weakest category. In computing these short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The goal is to create a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. It appears that this place was subpar in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the data we considered. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most facilities, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Wynhoven Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 9.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 3.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 2.79% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients who have experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 16.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 1.48% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 89.54% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 17.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 15.38% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 2.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 15.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 12.77 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Wynhoven Health Care Center, 64.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- West Jefferson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.04 miles away1101 Medical Center Blvd Marrero Louisiana 70072Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 347-5511
- Touro InfirmaryAcute Care Hospitals 2.36 miles away1401 Foucher Street New Orleans Louisiana 70115Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 897-8247
- Childrens HospitalChildrens 2.57 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 899-9511
- Tulane Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.58 miles away1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 988-5263
- University Medical Center New OrleansAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away2000 Canal Street New Orleans Louisiana 70112Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 903-3000
- Ochsner Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away1516 Jefferson Hwy New Orleans Louisiana 70121Voluntary non-profit - Private(504) 842-3000
- St Bernard Parish HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.98 miles away8000 West Judge Perez Drive Chalmette Louisiana 70043Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 826-9500
- East Jefferson General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.81 miles away4200 Houma Blvd Metairie Louisiana 70006Government - Hospital District or Authority(504) 454-4000
- Fmcna - Marrero0.31 miles away7325 Westbank Expressway Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 348-1845
- Fmcna - Westbank0.49 miles away5301 Westbank Expwy Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 12 (504) 340-8577
- Fmcna - Barataria1.06 miles away1849 Barataria Blvd Ste A Marrero Louisiana 70072Dialysis Stations: 23 (504) 347-4228
- Davita - Marrero Dialysis Center1.14 miles away1908 Jutland Dr Harvey Louisiana 70058CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 347-6224
- Davita - New Orleans Uptown Dialysis2.21 miles away1401 Foucher St 4th Fl-Dialysis Unit New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (504) 897-8530
- New Orleans Kidney Ctr2.41 miles away3434 Prytania Ste 200 New Orleans Louisiana 70115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (504) 899-8414
- Childrens Hospital-Dialysis2.58 miles away200 Henry Clay Ave New Orleans Louisiana 70118Dialysis Stations: 8 (504) 896-2061
- Fmcna - Gretna3.03 miles away959 Behrman Hgwy Gretna Louisiana 70056Dialysis Stations: 17 (504) 391-1041