Woodbury Health Care Center is a large non-profit nursing home in Saint Paul, Minnesota. This facility was given an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average rating. We were pleased to learn that this was in line with the other nursing homes in Saint Paul, which is one of the better cities in Minnesota to find a nursing home. This facility was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Woodbury Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this proved to be a quality facility is that it received a very impressive short-term care score. Short-term care is its best category. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be most critical for residents needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally requires more highly-skilled nursing. This includes not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Adding to its impressive category grades, we awarded this facility an A for inspections. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Woodbury Health Care Center?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. When computing a facility's nursing score, we weigh the amount of time nurses are with patients and the levels of training of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving residents more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we graded was long-term care, in which this nursing home was given a C. This actually turned out to be this facility's least impressive category. This is nevertheless not the end of the world. In computing our long-term care ratings, we look at the personal care offered to the nursing home's residents. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 99.259254 percent of its patients, which is better than the average nursing home. This nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Woodbury Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who have sustained urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 16.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 4.58% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts argue that this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 93.31% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating. Many argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 18.07% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 12.51 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 76.76% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 30 other nursing homes
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.31 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.48 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.07 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Regina HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.92 miles away1175 Nininger Road Hastings Minnesota 55033Voluntary non-profit - Church(651) 480-4100
- Lakeview Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.07 miles away927 West Churchill Street Stillwater Minnesota 55082Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 430-5330
- Hudson Hospital & ClinicCritical Access Hospitals 12.56 miles away405 Stageline Road Hudson Wisconsin 54016Voluntary non-profit - Private(715) 531-6000
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 14.04 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.93 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Woodbury Dialysis of Davita0.98 miles away1850 Weir Dr #3 Saint Paul Minnesota 55125Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 730-4522
- Bio-Medical Applications of Minnesota, Inc.1.32 miles away7433 Currell Blvd Saint Paul Minnesota 55125Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 714-9948
- Sun Ray Dialysis of Davita4.4 miles away1744 Old Hudson Road Saint Paul Minnesota 55106CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 793-5191
- Fmc Dialysis Services of St Paul5.08 miles away445 Etna Street Suite 60 Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 251-3847
- Davita - Cottage Grove5.1 miles away8800 East Point Douglas Dr Cottage Grove Minnesota 55016Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 459-5655
- Fmc - West St Paul Dialysis5.75 miles away1590 S Robert St Ste 130 Saint Paul Minnesota 55118Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 457-2232
- West St Paul Dialysis of Davita5.88 miles away1555 Livingston Ave Saint Paul Minnesota 55118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 455-2995
- Davita Phalen Dialysis6.23 miles away863 Arcade St Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 776-0466