Woodbury Health Care Center is a large non-profit nursing home in Saint Paul, Minnesota. This facility was given an A- overall, which is a high-end rating. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the United States. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card is its short-term care grade. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
Woodbury Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
7012 Lake Road,
Saint Paul MN 55125
66.45% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate nursing home overall, this nursing home also excelled in our short-term care rating, where it earned an impressive grade of A. In computing our short-term care scores, we size up a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is considered to be a solid assessment of a facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing ratings are largely based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Woodbury Health Care Center?
Racking up another strong category grade, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it earned an A-. Few facilities fared better in this category. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to resident safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we rated turned out to be this nursing home's worst area. Nevertheless, even its lowest point would likely be a highlight for most facilities. We gave it an above average grade of B for our long-term care category. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 97.26028 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is often a life threatening health condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Woodbury Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 6.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 2.89% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 15.26% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 11.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 4.16% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 94.15% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 13.41% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 15.86% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 15.86 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 14.49 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Woodbury Health Care Center, 77.42% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 13 other nursing homes
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.31 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.48 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.07 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Regina HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.92 miles away1175 Nininger Road Hastings Minnesota 55033Voluntary non-profit - Church(651) 480-4100
- Lakeview Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.07 miles away927 West Churchill Street Stillwater Minnesota 55082Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 430-5330
- Hudson Hospital & ClinicCritical Access Hospitals 12.56 miles away405 Stageline Road Hudson Wisconsin 54016Voluntary non-profit - Private(715) 531-6000
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 14.04 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.93 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Woodbury Dialysis of Davita0.98 miles away1850 Weir Dr #3 Saint Paul Minnesota 55125Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 730-4522
- Bio-Medical Applications of Minnesota, Inc.1.32 miles away7433 Currell Blvd Saint Paul Minnesota 55125Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 714-9948
- Sun Ray Dialysis of Davita4.4 miles away1744 Old Hudson Road Saint Paul Minnesota 55106CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 793-5191
- Fmc Dialysis Services of St Paul5.08 miles away445 Etna Street Suite 60 Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 251-3847
- Davita - Cottage Grove5.1 miles away8800 East Point Douglas Dr Cottage Grove Minnesota 55016Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 459-5655
- Fmc - West St Paul Dialysis5.75 miles away1590 S Robert St Ste 130 Saint Paul Minnesota 55118Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 457-2232
- West St Paul Dialysis of Davita5.88 miles away1555 Livingston Ave Saint Paul Minnesota 55118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 455-2995
- Davita Phalen Dialysis6.23 miles away863 Arcade St Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 776-0466