Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center is a very-large nursing home in Alexandria, Virginia. Featuring an overall score of B+, this looks like a strong facility. We were pleased to learn that this matched the average grade of nursing homes in Alexandria, which is one of the better cities in Virginia to find a nursing home. Fortunately, this facility didn't have any bad scores in any of the four major categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2729 King St,
Alexandria VA 22302
90.68% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to faring well overall, this facility received nearly flawless government inspections. As a result, it earned one of our highest scores in that category with an A+. Inspection scores account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this category generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is an above average score in this area. In a long-term care setting, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. This nursing home's vaccination statistics lagged a bit behind a few of its other statistics in this area, such as its nursing hours. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 87.068 percent of its residents. We would like to see some improvement in this area in the future. Fortunately, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. While it had 2.85 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was better than most facilities since it had more complicated patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an impressive short-term care score. Indeed, we gave it an above average grade of B+ in this area. With our short-term care assessment, we seek to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. One of this nursing home's strengths is registered nurse hours. We found that it offers more care from registered nurses to its residents than most facilities. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. It performed as well as just about any facility in Virginia in this area with 64.4 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, at most nursing homes, less than half of their short-term residents are able to return home.
The final area we scored is nursing. This nursing home received a very good nursing grade this year, with a grade of C. Although this wasn't quite as dominant as a few of its other scores, this remains a decent score for that category. There are numerous data points included in this category. Many of the factors relate to nurse staffing. According to its CMS reports, this place provided an average of 4 hours of nursing care per resident daily, which was above average. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in some quality-focused statistics. Specifically, we look at the percent of residents who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these data points as reliable measures of the quality of nursing care, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 8.83% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.6% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 13.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 4.13% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many believe this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 91.75% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 75.36% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Inova Alexandria HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.77 miles away4320 Seminary Rd Alexandria Virginia 22304Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 504-3167
- United Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.92 miles away1310 Southern Avenue Se Washington District of Columbia 20032Proprietary(202) 574-6611
- Inova Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.24 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Alexandria Virginia 22306Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 664-7000
- Virginia Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away1701 North George Mason Drive Arlington Virginia 22205Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 558-5000
- George Washington Univ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.12 miles away900 23rd St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20037Proprietary(202) 716-4605
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.76 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Fort Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.36 miles away11711 Livingston Road Fort Washington Maryland 20744Voluntary non-profit - Other(301) 292-7000
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.63 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Alexandria Kidney Center1.62 miles away4141 Duke Street Alexandria Virginia 22304CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (703) 370-8250
- Renal Carepartners - Arlington/Alexandria2.31 miles away2445 Army Navy Dr Anderson Bldg 2nd Floor Arlington Virginia 22206CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (703) 892-0250
- Davita - Alexandria2.6 miles away5150 Duke St Alexandria Virginia 22304CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (703) 823-7940
- Advanced Dialysis Center - Potomac3.12 miles away1785 S Hayes St Arlington Virginia 22202Dialysis Stations: 1 (703) 521-1056
- Davita Pentagon City Dialysis3.12 miles away1785 South Hayes St Arlington Virginia 22202Dialysis Stations: 8 (703) 920-0980
- Greater Southeast Community Dialysis Center3.35 miles away4601 Marti Luther King Jr. Avenue Southwest Suite A Washington District of Columbia 20032Dialysis Stations: 22 (202) 838-3153
- Cdc - Alexandria3.4 miles away5999 Stevenson Ave Ste 100 Alexandria Virginia 22304CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (703) 751-6115
- Us Renal Care Oxon Hill Dialysis4.02 miles away5410 Indian Head Hwy Oxon Hill Maryland 20745CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (301) 749-9307