Almond Vista Health Care is on a list of 10 options in Modesto, California. This nursing home received a concerning overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. At the end of the day, we would struggle to recommend this nursing home. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Almond Vista Health Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not complementary of this nursing home's overall grade, it actually received an impressive nursing grade this year. We gave it a B in this area. There are a number of datapoints within this grade. Most of these subcategories reflect the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best category ended up being its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a B-. In crafting these short-term care scores, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Almond Vista Health Care?
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable category was long-term care. We gave it a C in this category. This is basically a slightly below average grade in this area. For residents in need of a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 97.49431 percent of its residents. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning our last category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this grade more heavily than our other categories. For facilities that received this bad of an inspection score, we would scrutinize the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This facility had 3 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 11 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Almond Vista Health Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Almond Vista Health Care, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Almond Vista Health Care, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Almond Vista Health Care, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Almond Vista Health Care, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Almond Vista Health Care, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Almond Vista Health Care, 4.64% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Almond Vista Health Care, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Almond Vista Health Care, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Almond Vista Health Care, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Almond Vista Health Care, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Almond Vista Health Care, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Almond Vista Health Care, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Almond Vista Health Care, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Modesto, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Modesto, California has 9 other nursing homes
- Doctors Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.75 miles away1441 Florida Avenue Modesto California 95350Proprietary(209) 578-1211
- Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away1700 Coffee Rd Modesto California 95355Voluntary non-profit - Private(209) 526-4500
- Oak Valley Hospital DistrictAcute Care Hospitals 11 miles away350 S Oak Ave Oakdale California 95361Government - Hospital District or Authority(209) 847-3011
- Doctors Hospital of MantecaAcute Care Hospitals 13.19 miles away1205 E North Street Manteca California 95336Voluntary non-profit - Other(209) 823-3111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital MantecaAcute Care Hospitals 15.05 miles away1777 West Yosemite Ave Manteca California 95337Voluntary non-profit - Private(209) 825-3700
- Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.2 miles away825 Delbon Ave Turlock California 95382Voluntary non-profit - Church(209) 667-4200
- Parkway Kidney Center0.53 miles away2200 Plaza Parkway, Suite b1-b4 Modesto California 95350CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (209) 574-6818
- Archway Modesto Home Training1.6 miles away3001 Health Care Way, Suite 101 Modesto California 95350Dialysis Stations: 4 (209) 543-1721
- Wellbound of Modesto2.09 miles away1315 Tenth Street #100 Modesto California 95354Dialysis Stations: 4 (209) 238-4080
- Satellite Dialysis Central Modesto2.09 miles away1315 10th Street, Suite 300 Modesto California 95354CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (209) 238-4087
- Modesto Kidney Center, LLC2.13 miles away305 E. Granger Ave.., Ste. 102 Modesto California 95350CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (209) 574-6800
- Archway Dialysis of Modesto3.19 miles away3001 Health Care Way Modesto California 95356CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (209) 543-1720
- Satellite Dialysis Modesto3.25 miles away3500 Coffee Road #21 Modesto California 95355CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (209) 578-0691
- Satellite Healthcare North Modesto3.59 miles away4207 Bangs Avenue, Suite 100 Modesto California 95356CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (209) 338-2500