Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Long Beach, California which has a population of 471,952 people. This nursing home received a concerning overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 26 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is long-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Lymphedema Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Although we were not high on this nursing home overall, we gave it a B for long-term care. This score is far more impressive than the nursing home's overall score. In fact, without this grade, this place's profile would have been even worse. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. Nursing grades are primarily tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below average. Lastly, our nursing grades also consider quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses to assist its residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home a grade of just D for our short-term care score. This is not a score to write home about. Short-term care grades are often used to assess a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. With its abysmal rating in this area, we weren't shocked to discover that this facility provides significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other nursing homes. The last measure we considered in this area is the number of residents that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.2 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below average.
Turning the final category of inspections, this facility really did not fare well. Sadly, it received an F in our inspection rating. For places with poor inspection ratings, you should really focus on any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This particular nursing home was assessed one category G through L deficiency, which are among the more serious deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies identified by CMS had potential to pose actual harm to residents. Lastly, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was assessed large government fines recently amounting to over $100,000. This often suggests that a facility's bad track record spanned several years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of long-term care residents who suffered a fall which caused serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that retained mobility levels. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental health.
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.07 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 4.39 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.12 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.75 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.13 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.47 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Davita-Nephron Dialysis0.99 miles away5820 Downey Avenue Long Beach California 90805CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 663-0788
- Davita-Artesia Home Training0.99 miles away16506 Lakewood Blvd, Suite 100 Bellflower California 90706Dialysis Stations: 8 (562) 920-4084
- Davita-Paramount Dialysis Center1.35 miles away15625 Lakewood Blvd. Paramount California 90723CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 790-2478
- Davita Mayfair Dialysis1.83 miles away4930 Paramount Blvd Lakewood California 90712Dialysis Stations: 36 (424) 296-6870
- Davita-Lakewood Dialysis Center1.85 miles away4611 Silva Street Lakewood California 90712CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (562) 633-7441
- Davita-Bellflower Dialysis Center2.44 miles away15736 Woodruff Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 804-3099
- Fmc-Bellflower2.79 miles away10116 Rosecrans Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (562) 920-2070
- Fmc-North Long Beach2.84 miles away145 W. Victoria Street Long Beach California 90805CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 639-3122