White Oak of Waxhaw is located in Waxhaw, North Carolina. It looks like this is a very good nursing home. We awarded this it an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average score. Based on our analysis, this place ought to meet the needs of most people. The best part of this nursing home's strong profile was its inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
White Oak of Waxhaw
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Waxhaw senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Waxhaw, North Carolina Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a score of A- for our long-term care score. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.28571 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about White Oak of Waxhaw?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was given favorable short-term care scores this year. Indeed, we awarded them one of our more favorable grades in that area, with a grade of B. Our short-term care ratings are presumably more important for patients needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final item we considered in this category is the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
The last area we assessed was nursing, turned out to be this facility's weakest area. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in this area. This is one of just a couple of dings in an otherwise impressive profile. Our nursing rating analyzes quite a few components, but the most important consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. With just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day, this facility's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Unfortunately, this place also didn't perform as well as we hoped in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed for this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
White Oak of Waxhaw Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 11.11% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that developed pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who have sustained a fall which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 3.28% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 7.27% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 0.75% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 97.62% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 9.27% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 15.37% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many would argue that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical health.
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 15.37% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 9.28% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In White Oak of Waxhaw, 85.14% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Rebound Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 5.86 miles away134 East Rebound Road Lancaster South Carolina 29720Proprietary(803) 313-3700
- Atrium Health UnionAcute Care Hospitals 12.46 miles away600 Hospital Dr Monroe North Carolina 28112Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 283-3100
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 13.54 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Musc Health Lancaster Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.95 miles away800 W Meeting St Lancaster South Carolina 29720Proprietary(803) 286-1481
- Piedmont Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.99 miles away222 S Herlong Ave Rock Hill South Carolina 29730Proprietary(803) 329-1234
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 19.99 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Metrolina Kidney Center Monroe12.21 miles away1338 East Sunset Drive Monroe North Carolina 28112CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (704) 289-8407
- South Charlotte Dialysis12.51 miles away6450 Bannington Road Charlotte North Carolina 28226CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (704) 542-9499
- Union County Dialysis13.02 miles away615 Comfort Lane Monroe North Carolina 28112CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (704) 225-0944
- Fmc of Fort Mill13.03 miles away535 River Crossing Drive Fort Mill South Carolina 29715CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (803) 802-2480
- Fresenius Medical Care Matthews13.45 miles away910 Park Center Drive Matthews North Carolina 28105CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (704) 443-2973
- Fresenius Kidney Care Indian Trail13.81 miles away7862 Idlewild Road Indian Trail North Carolina 28079Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 628-0350
- Fort Mill Dialysis14.96 miles away1975 Carolina Place Dr Fort Mill South Carolina 29708CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (803) 802-3027
- Lancaster Dialysis15.29 miles away1100 West Meeting Street Suite 100 Lancaster South Carolina 29720CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (803) 313-6600