Whester House is a large facility in Libertyville, Illinois. This facility received a concerning overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. Keep in mind that Libertyville received a city grade of B-, so should look at some other options in the city as well. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home actually received a good score in the category of short-term care. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B for that area, which is one of our better scores. In calculating these short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to formulate a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 4.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of B- for our inspections rating. This score is a more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Our inspection ratings are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Does this page answer your questions about Whester House?
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of B-. Our nursing grade looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was long-term care. This facility received an abysmal grade of F in that category. Facilities that don't fare well in this category often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in a few of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated just 81.36793 percent of its patients, which is not a very encouraging sign. To our surprise, this facility actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Whester House Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Whester House, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Whester House, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care residents which have suffered a fall resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Whester House, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients who had urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric may be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Whester House, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Whester House, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Whester House, 29.8% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Whester House, 87.49% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Whester House, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Whester House, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Whester House, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Whester House, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Whester House, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Whester House, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.42 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.19 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- Lake Behavioral HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away2615 W Washington St Waukegan Illinois 60085Proprietary(847) 249-3900
- Midwestern Region Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.56 miles away2520 Elisha Avenue Zion Illinois 60099Proprietary(847) 872-4561
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.35 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 15.92 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.48 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Aurora Medical Ctr KenoshaAcute Care Hospitals 18.91 miles away10400 75th St Kenosha Wisconsin 53142Voluntary non-profit - Private(262) 948-5600
- Fmc - Mundelein3.97 miles away1402 Townline Road Mundelein Illinois 60060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 949-3904
- Fkc - Lake Bluff4.34 miles away101 Waukegan Road, Suite 700 Lake Bluff Illinois 60044CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 735-0870
- Davita - Lake County Dialysis Services Inc4.69 miles away565 Lakeview Pkwy Ste 176 Vernon Hills Illinois 60061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (847) 918-0592
- Fmc - Gurnee5.25 miles away50 Tower Ct , Ste B Gurnee Illinois 60031CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 249-5555
- Davita - Waukegan Dialysis6.65 miles away3350 W Grand Ave Ste 100 Waukegan Illinois 60085CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (847) 782-0640
- Fmc - Waukegan Harbor7.68 miles away110 N. West Street Waukegan Illinois 60085CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (847) 599-1346
- Fmc - Neomedica - Round Lake8.04 miles away401 W. Nippersink Round Lake Illinois 60073CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 740-5281
- Beach Park Dialysis9.47 miles away3113 N. Lewis Avenue Waukegan Illinois 60087Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 782-8250