With an address in High Point, North Carolina, Westwood Health and Rehabilita is one of four available nursing homes there. Our rating system was not kind to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall score of F. This nursing home does not seem to have any redeeming qualities. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Westwood Health and Rehabilita
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it received a decent short-term care score this year. We gave it a B- in that area, which was the closest thing to a bright spot we can find for this place. Our short-term care ratings are probably more important for individuals in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the typical facility. The hope is that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. The last item we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that category, we gave this facility an C. We scrutinized the levels of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time those nurses worked with residents, in computing our grade in this area. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, although this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of our quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it did well in this metric.
Does this page answer your questions about Westwood Health and Rehabilita?
This facility received a lowly F for its inspection score. This is a very important category. Scores in this range generally point to red flags on the facility's inspection reports. For nursing homes with poor inspection scores, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This particular nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, we need to draw your attention to the fact that this place was assessed large government fines recently amounting to over $100,000. This typically means that a poor track record spanned more than one year.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded is long-term care, where this nursing home received a poor score in this area as well. It received an F for this category, which is definitely a major concern. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in this category likely don't provide the type of consistent around the clock care that some other nursing homes offer. One of the data points we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 93.63057 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Westwood Health and Rehabilita Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 10.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term care residents who had a UTI. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 11.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 22.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 3.01% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 87.89% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 18.87% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 24.57% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 24.57 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Westwood Health and Rehabilita, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for High Point, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? High Point, North Carolina has 3 other nursing homes
- High Point Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.43 miles away601 N Elm St High Point North Carolina 27261Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 878-6000
- Novant Health Thomasville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.96 miles away207 Old Lexington Rd Box 789 Thomasville North Carolina 27360Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 472-2000
- The Moses H Cone Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.53 miles away1200 N Elm St Greensboro North Carolina 27401Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 832-7000
- Randolph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.02 miles away364 White Oak Street Asheboro North Carolina 27204Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 625-5151
- North Randolph Dialysis Center of Wake Forest University0.83 miles away5948 Mendenhall Rd Ext High Point North Carolina 27263Dialysis Stations: 10 (336) 434-8910
- High Point Kidney Center of Wake Forest University4.73 miles away1900 Westchester Drive High Point North Carolina 27262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (336) 889-9200
- Fresenius Medical Care - High Point6 miles away1320 Eastchester Drive High Point North Carolina 27265Dialysis Stations: 10 (252) 823-7046
- Thomasville Dialysis Center of Wake Forest University7.37 miles away10 Laura Lane Thomasville North Carolina 27360CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (336) 472-4500
- Bma of Southwest Greensboro7.84 miles away5020 Mackay Road Jamestown North Carolina 27282CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (336) 854-7807
- Triad Dialysis Center10.02 miles away4370 Regency Drive High Point North Carolina 27265CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (336) 454-0076
- Bma of South Greensboro Inc12.84 miles away622 Industrial Avenue Greensboro North Carolina 27406CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 49 (336) 271-8178
- Bma Northwest Greensboro Kidney Center15.7 miles away2837 Horsepen Creek Greensboro North Carolina 27410CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (336) 664-6869