Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond is a nursing home located in Richmond, Virginia which has 364,141 people. This facility received an A- overall, which is one of our higher grades. Even in a city with 10 nursing homes, this nursing home would be a great option. As you will see below, this place also performed just fine in our category ratings. It would be hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Catheter Care
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall score, this nursing home received an excellent nursing rating. In fact, we gave it an A in that area. In computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we consider the number of hours nurses commit to patients and the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This facility has earned near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next area, this facility received a top-shelf long-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it a score of A- in this category. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After considering the quantity of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 67.32456 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was this nursing home's worst category. However, even its worst category would be a strength for many nursing homes. In fact, we gave it an above average grade of B for our short-term care category. Our short-term care grades are believed to be most critical for individuals needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 2.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which experienced falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 2.59% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 13.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 20.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care residents which are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 3.59% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 91.36% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 16.53% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 23.38% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 1.23 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 23.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 11.33 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Westminster-Canterbury of Richmond, 75.1% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Richmond, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Richmond, Virginia has 9 other nursing homes
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.22 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.85 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.25 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- Davita - Henrico County0.76 miles away5270 Chamberlayne Rd Richmond Virginia 23227Dialysis Stations: 26 (804) 262-8077
- West Hampton Regional Dialysis Center, LLC2.02 miles away500 East Laburnum Ave Richmond Virginia 23222Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 228-9990
- Westhampton Dialysis Center LLC3.02 miles away5320 Patterson Avenue Richmond Virginia 23226Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 285-3394
- Rai - West Leigh-Richmond3.09 miles away800 W Leigh Street Suite B Richmond Virginia 23220CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (804) 649-8070
- Glenside Dialysis3.26 miles away7001 West Broad Street Suite C Henrico Virginia 23294Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 755-2368
- Fresenius Kidney Care Laurel Park3.57 miles away4008 East Parham Road Henrico Virginia 23228Dialysis Stations: 13 (804) 553-7880
- Rai - Mechanicsville Trnpk-Richmond3.81 miles away2521 Mechanicsville Tpk Richmond Virginia 23223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (804) 644-0566
- Vcu Medical Center4.03 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1200 E Marshall St Box 985904 Richmond Virginia 23298Dialysis Stations: 9 (804) 828-9224