Westminster at Lake Ridge is one of a mere two available facilities located in Woodbridge, Virginia. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B+. A score of this caliber requires favorable scores in most areas. Based on our ratings, you can do much worse than this nursing home. This nursing home was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Westminster at Lake Ridge
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our short-term care grade. Short-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Among this facility's other strengths is its elite nursing grade. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of A-. Nursing scores are primarily associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Westminster at Lake Ridge?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility earned a grade of B for its inspections rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with better scores in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was long-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of C. This actually ended up being this facility's weakest category. This is still not a major area of concern. Our long-term care scores are more meaningful for residents needing more traditional assistance related to personal care. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 97.647064 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Westminster at Lake Ridge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have experienced a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 2.59% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 13.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 20.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 3.59% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 91.36% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 16.53% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 23.38% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who retained mobility levels. Many argue that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 23.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 11.33 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Westminster at Lake Ridge, 75.1% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Sentara Northern Virginia Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.69 miles away2300 Opitz Boulevard Woodbridge Virginia 22191Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 523-1000
- Fort Belvoir Community HospitalAcute Care - Department of Defense 7.26 miles away9300 Dewitt Loop Fort Belvoir Virginia 22060Department of Defense(571) 231-3224
- Inova Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.43 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Alexandria Virginia 22306Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 664-7000
- Inova Fairfax HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.2 miles away3300 Gallows Road Falls Church Virginia 22042Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 776-4001
- Novant Health Uva Prince William Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.42 miles away8700 Sudley Rd Manassas Virginia 20110Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 369-8000
- Inova Alexandria HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.34 miles away4320 Seminary Rd Alexandria Virginia 22304Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 504-3167
- Fort Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.53 miles away11711 Livingston Road Fort Washington Maryland 20744Voluntary non-profit - Other(301) 292-7000
- Virginia Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.22 miles away1701 North George Mason Drive Arlington Virginia 22205Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 558-5000
- Cdc - Woodbridge2.24 miles away2751 Killarney Dr Woodbridge Virginia 22192CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (703) 897-7027
- Lees Dialysis LLC2.83 miles away8520 Cinder Rd Suite 100 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 17 (703) 339-6050
- Fmc - Potomac Mills2.91 miles away3057 Golansky Blvd Woodbridge Virginia 22192Dialysis Stations: 17 (703) 551-1313
- Renal Carepartners - Woodbridge3.21 miles away14000 Crown Ct Ste 110 Woodbridge Virginia 22193CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (703) 680-3055
- Fmc - Lorton3.88 miles away8986 Lorton Station Blvd Ste 100 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 12 (571) 642-0679
- Dale City Dialysis4.37 miles away2920 Dale Blvd Woodbridge Virginia 22193Dialysis Stations: 17 (703) 680-5837
- Lee Dialysis5.66 miles away8520 Cinder Bed Rd Ste 200 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 4 (703) 339-6050
- Fresenius Medical Care Dumfries8.13 miles away3671 Fettler Park Drive Dumfries Virginia 22025Dialysis Stations: 16 (703) 221-4077