Western Hills Health Care Center is in Denver, Colorado. This city is among the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has a total of 958,706 people. We gave this facility an extremely impressive overall grade of A-. Consequently, it is ranked among the highest graded nursing homes in Denver. This is impressive since the city features some quality nursing homes. Denver has a double digit count of other nursing homes, however, we doubt you will need to visit too many others. This one looks like a high quality option. As you will find below, this place also performed just fine in our category grades. It's hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Western Hills Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our nursing rating. Our nursing rating consists of several subcategories, most of which are based on nursing hours. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
To complement its strong assessments in other areas, we gave this facility a grade of A- for our short-term care rating. Short-term care grades are generally employed to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To provide highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Western Hills Health Care Center?
We also wanted to point out this nursing home's nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of B+ in this category. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final area, this facility was awarded a strong long-term care rating. We gave it a B+ in this area, finishing off one of our more impressive profiles. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for patient care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Western Hills Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 5.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients that have sustained a fall leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 2.14% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who experienced UTI's. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 17.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 12.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 3.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 84.99% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 15.45% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 19.26% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 19.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 12.03 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Western Hills Health Care Center, 75.71% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Denver, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Denver, Colorado has 41 other nursing homes
- Lutheran Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.86 miles away8300 W 38th Ave Wheat Ridge Colorado 80033Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 425-4500
- Centura Health-St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.58 miles away11600 West 2nd Plc Denver Colorado 80228Voluntary non-profit - Church(720) 321-0000
- Orthocolorado Hospital at St Anthony Med CampusAcute Care Hospitals 2.62 miles away11650 West 2nd Place Denver Colorado 80228Proprietary(720) 321-5000
- Denver Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away777 Bannock St Denver Colorado 80204Government - State(303) 602-4930
- Saint Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away1375 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 812-2000
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Centura Health-Porter Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.98 miles away2525 S Downing St Denver Colorado 80210Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 778-1955
- Lakewood Dialysis (Dva)1.05 miles away1750 Pierce St Denver Colorado 80214CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (303) 238-6111
- Mile High Pd (Dva)1.05 miles away1750 Pierce St Ste A Denver Colorado 80214Dialysis Stations: 3 (303) 232-0939
- Kidney Center of Wheat Ridge (Ara)2.05 miles away6920 W 38th Ave Wheat Ridge Colorado 80033Dialysis Stations: 16 (303) 463-3041
- Kidney Center of Lakewood (Ara)2.62 miles away6166 W Alameda Ave Denver Colorado 80226Dialysis Stations: 21 (303) 922-6371
- West Lakewood Dialysis Center (Dva)3.1 miles away11700 W 2nd Pl, Ste 325 Denver Colorado 80228Dialysis Stations: 14 (303) 987-4672
- Lakewood Crossing Dialysis (Dva)3.11 miles away1057 S Wadsworth Blvd Ste 100 Denver Colorado 80226Dialysis Stations: 22 (720) 962-6199
- Kidney Center of Arvada (Ara)3.49 miles away5265 Vance St Arvada Colorado 80002CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (303) 403-1127
- Kidney Center of Bear Creek (Ara)4.55 miles away11058 West Jewell Ave Denver Colorado 80232Dialysis Stations: 15 (303) 233-4204