West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center is an average-sized nursing home in Detroit, Michigan. This isn't a very good facility with a D overall grade. Sadly, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Detroit. In our view, we'd struggle to recommend this nursing home. The best thing we can really say about this nursing home is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about these categories is available below.
West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home's overall performance, it actually received an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that area with a grade of B+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively minor. While this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of C in the area. Nursing ratings are largely tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next highest category we awarded this nursing home in any area came in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of C. In a long-term care setting, the primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 97.38806 percent of its patients. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth category, we gave this nursing home a grade of D in our short-term care category. This is the facility's weakest category rating. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be most meaningful for those needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. With a grade in this range for this category, we were not shocked to discover this nursing home was well below average in the two key staffing metrics we assess. It offered far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most nursing homes. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.9 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents who sustained falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 3.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 91.43% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 22 other nursing homes
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 3.07 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.07 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.01 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.54 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Southfield West Dialysis of Davita0.41 miles away21900 Melrose Ave Suite #4 Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 356-8079
- Davita - Redford1.66 miles away22711 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 255-0171
- Davita - Greenview2.05 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis2.23 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137
- Great Lakes Dialysis West, LLC2.53 miles away27150 W 8 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 327-3999
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit2.96 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC3.03 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit3.26 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530