West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center is an average-sized nursing home in Detroit, Michigan. We gave this nursing home a respectable overall grade of B-. Although this is not an elite grade, this nursing home still ended up being a superior option to the average nursing home in Detroit. In our view, this nursing home ought to be a good fit for most people. The best part of this nursing home's profile was is its inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Detroit senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home earned a decent overall rating, its inspections score is notably better than its overall score. Due to a strong government inspection report this year, it earned a strong score in that category with a B+. Inspection ratings are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Another one of this nursing home's stronger areas was in the category of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B+. Our nursing grade is largely associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed is long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. In our long-term care assessment, we weigh the volume of care offered by a facility, along with a series of qualitative statistics. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated 88.75969 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be quite a few points lower than the national average. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored is short-term care, is this nursing home's worst area. We awarded this nursing home a D in that area. This is one of the few dings on an otherwise strong report card. Short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Finally, we considered the number of patients who eventually returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 4.68% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 1.55% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents who sustained falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 0.39% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 5.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 12.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 1.31% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 93.73% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 2.94% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 1.21% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 1.21% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 8.17% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center, 23.35% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 5 other nursing homes
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 3.07 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.07 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.01 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.54 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Southfield West Dialysis of Davita0.41 miles away21900 Melrose Ave Suite #4 Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 356-8079
- Davita - Redford1.66 miles away22711 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 255-0171
- Davita - Greenview2.05 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis2.23 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137
- Great Lakes Dialysis West, LLC2.53 miles away27150 W 8 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 327-3999
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit2.96 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC3.03 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit3.26 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530