West Bay Care and Rehab Center is a large nursing home located in Westlake, Ohio. This nursing home was given an overall grade of F. Westlake received a city grade of C, so there are some other options in the city worth considering. We were surprisingly able to give this facility some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can find more information about below.
West Bay Care and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although this facility's overall score was as bad as it gets, it actually performed well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for that category, which is one of our better scores. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of short-term care, this nursing home received a grade of just D in this area. As it turns out, this wound up being its second best grade. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. With its score in this area, we weren't surprised to find that this place was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about West Bay Care and Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Another issue was the F this nursing home received in the category of long-term care. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is typically a bad sign for resident care and it may indicate that the facility is not as well-staffed. One of the criteria we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to only 86.60436 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
The last category we rated was nursing. This facility received a poor grade of F in that area. Nursing ratings are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these data points to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Bay Care and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 20% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 90.19% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels. Some would argue that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In West Bay Care and Rehab Center, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Westlake, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Westlake, Ohio has 7 other nursing homes
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.84 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.62 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.43 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 11.83 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.1 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 15.87 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Mercy Health-Lorain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.13 miles away3700 Kolbe Road Lorain Ohio 44053Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 960-4000
- Fmc - Westlake Dialysis Center1.01 miles away26024 Detroit Road Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 23 (440) 835-1139
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC2.11 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808
- Davita - Villa of Great Northern4.59 miles away22710 Fairview Center Dr., Ste 100 Cleveland Ohio 44126Dialysis Stations: 7 (440) 734-4630
- Davita - Hilliard Dialysis4.76 miles away19133 Hilliard Blvd Rocky River Ohio 44116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (216) 712-4700
- Fmc - Lakewood Ohio Dialysis7.17 miles away13900 Detroit Avenue Lakewood Ohio 44107Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 221-3034
- Center for Dialysis Care Middleburg Heights7.53 miles away6749 Eastland Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 234-3916
- Fmc - Cleveland Clinic West8.25 miles away14670 Snow Road Brookpark Ohio 44142CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (216) 267-1451
- Fmc - Dialysis Specialists of Northeast Ohio9.01 miles away1070 Abbe Road North Elyria Ohio 44035Dialysis Stations: 21 (440) 365-8165