West Anaheim Medical Center Adult Subacute Services is one of 14 nursing homes in Anaheim, California. After receiving an A overall grade, this nursing home has the distinction of being one of the 100 best facilities in California. This is an impressive feat in a state with a long list of high-end nursing homes. In addition, this facility is located in a hospital, which often means the nursing home offers a wider array of healthcare services. Scroll down to find this facility's category scores, which are also strong. It is hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
West Anaheim Medical Center Adult Subacute Services
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ long-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a reliable method to minimize negative health outcomes for the elderly population. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
This nursing home also received an A+ inspection grade, making it one of the rare places to receive multiple A+'s in our categories. This is based on the place's recent government inspections. An A+ in this category is one of the best complements we can pay to a nursing home. Inspection ratings are tied to several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this category typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about West Anaheim Medical Center Adult Subacute Services?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. When determining our nursing ratings, we look at both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 1.1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed was this nursing home's worst category. However, even its lowest point would likely be a strength for many nursing homes. We awarded it a favorable grade of B for our short-term care category. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Anaheim Medical Center Adult Subacute Services Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Anaheim Medical Center Adult Subacute Services, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Anaheim Medical Center Adult Subacute Services, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a fall which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Anaheim Medical Center Adult Subacute Services, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Anaheim Medical Center Adult Subacute Services, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Anaheim Medical Center Adult Subacute Services, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Anaheim Medical Center Adult Subacute Services, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Anaheim Medical Center Adult Subacute Services, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Scores for Anaheim, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anaheim, California has 13 other nursing homes
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.8 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.62 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Fmc-Anaheim Dialysis0.55 miles away3150 W. Lincoln Avenue, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (714) 816-8725
- Fmc-North Orange County2.24 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Davita-La Palma Dialysis2.46 miles away7880 Valley View St. Buena Park California 90620CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (714) 670-6791
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis2.83 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510
- Fmc-Orange County Home3.01 miles away1401 S Brookhurst Ste 108 Fullerton California 92833Dialysis Stations: 4 (714) 773-1407
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis3.19 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis3.65 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Davita-Los Alamitos Dialysis3.97 miles away4141 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 952-0175