West Anaheim Extended Care is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Anaheim, California. We gave this facility an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top third of all facilities in the United States. Anaheim offers many nursing homes, however, we question whether you will need to check out too many others. This one is a very fine option. This place also received consistently good scores in all four of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
West Anaheim Extended Care
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Anaheim senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Anaheim, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ long-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly is often a life or death illness for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about West Anaheim Extended Care?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. We analyzed the levels of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses were with residents, in computing our grade in this area. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a resident at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth category, this facility received an extremely favorable short-term care score. Although this is not as strong as many of its other category grades, this is nevertheless one of our more favorable scores a facility can receive. In calculating our short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This category is more often than not a reliable assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final measure we assessed in this category is the number of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
West Anaheim Extended Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 4.25% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay residents that developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 1.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who experienced falls which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 0.92% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents who had urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of poor nursing care. However, this metric could also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 12.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 15.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 5.25% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 100% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 3.91% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 9.44% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 9.44% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 6.57% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In West Anaheim Extended Care, 84.67% of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Anaheim, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Anaheim, California has 13 other nursing homes
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.14 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.44 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.76 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.9 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.2 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Fmc-Anaheim Dialysis0.69 miles away3150 W. Lincoln Avenue, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (714) 816-8725
- Fmc-North Orange County2.2 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Davita-La Palma Dialysis2.6 miles away7880 Valley View St. Buena Park California 90620CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (714) 670-6791
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis2.75 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510
- Fmc-Orange County Home3.02 miles away1401 S Brookhurst Ste 108 Fullerton California 92833Dialysis Stations: 4 (714) 773-1407
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis3.07 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis3.6 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Davita-Los Alamitos Dialysis4.03 miles away4141 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 952-0175