Waverly Heights is a facility located in Gladwyne, Pennsylvania. This city has a total of 3,780 people. This nursing home turns out to be an A+ facility. Receiving an A+ in our rating scheme requires superb scores across the board. In fact, this nursing home made our top 500 list of the top facilities in the country, which is an exclusive list. This also turned out to be a very consistent facility with consistently strong ratings in each of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1400 Waverly Road,
Gladwyne PA 19035
84.19% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility fared very well in our short-term care rating. We awarded them a dominant grade of A+ in this area. Our short-term care scores are likely most critical for patients in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Remarkably, this place provides roughly one and a half times as many hours of services from registered nurses and physical therapists than most facilities we looked at. This is certainly an excellent sign. The final metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that it fared as well as just about any nursing home in Pennsylvania in this area with 62.9 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Waverly Heights?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. We weighed the qualifications of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses worked with residents, in computing our score in this category. This facility provided 6.5 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is among the more impressive totals in the country. A significant portion of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the most highly skilled levels of nurses. We are very impressed by both of these figures. On top of providing high levels of nursing care, this place was also above average in several of the major quality-based metrics we looked at in this category. It performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category we assessed, this facility was given a very favorable grade of A in our long-term care category. With this grade, the nursing home finished off a straight A profile. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. In addition to elite nursing hour statistics, this facility's vaccination data is as good as it gets also. Indeed, this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.32 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Waverly Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Waverly Heights, 7.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Waverly Heights, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who suffered falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Waverly Heights, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint may be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Waverly Heights, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Waverly Heights, 19.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Waverly Heights, 3.38% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Waverly Heights, 89.35% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Waverly Heights, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Waverly Heights, 23.88% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Waverly Heights, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Waverly Heights, 23.88 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Waverly Heights, 8.79 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Waverly Heights, 72.17% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Main Line Hospital Bryn Mawr CampusAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away130 South Bryn Mawr Ave Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 526-3000
- Roxborough Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.66 miles away5800 Ridge Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Proprietary(215) 483-9900
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Suburban Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away2701 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 278-2000
- Delaware County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away501 North Lansdowne Ave Drexel Hill Pennsylvania 19026Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 284-8100
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- Temple University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away3401 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19140Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 707-2000
- Penn Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away51 North 39th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 662-8000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Roxborough Dialysis2.22 miles away5003 Umbria Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Dialysis Stations: 16 (267) 331-6384
- Renal Care Group East, Inc.3.15 miles away780 W Lancaster Avenue, Suite 102 Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Dialysis Stations: 20 (610) 525-1793
- Freedom Dialysis LLC3.53 miles away940 E. Haverford Road, Suite 102 Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Dialysis Stations: 2 (610) 520-7277
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Mt. Airy4.19 miles away10 East Moreland Avenue, Suite 300 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (215) 381-0310
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Northwest Philadelphia4.32 miles away4190 City Avenue, Suite 124 Rowland Hall Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19131Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 871-7774
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wynnewood4.33 miles awayLankenau Hospital Mob - East, Ground Flr 100 East Lancaster Ave., Suite 61 Wynnewood Pennsylvania 19096CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (610) 896-9122
- Davita - Radnor Dialysis4.4 miles away250 King of Prussia Road Wayne Pennsylvania 19087Dialysis Stations: 12 (610) 254-0070
- Total Renal Care, Inc.5.08 miles away235 W. Chelten Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19144Dialysis Stations: 26 (215) 844-5915