Waverly Heights is in Gladwyne, Pennsylvania, a city with 3,780 people. This facility is ranked among the most elite nursing homes we found. In fact, it was given the very best grade. Based on our assessment, this place would be a wonderful choice for most people. If you scroll down, you can see this facility's category scores, which look to be equally strong as its overall score.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
1400 Waverly Road,
Gladwyne PA 19035
99.03% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given an A+ for its long-term care score. Facilities that receive this type of score in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 97.87234 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Waverly Heights?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is short-term care. This facility also was awarded an A+ short-term care grade, rendering it one of the few facilities to receive multiple A+ category grades. In determining our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is often a solid measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
In our final category, this nursing home was awarded another A+ for its nursing rating, topping off a truly spectacular profile of straight A+'s in each of our categories. Our nursing rating analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving residents at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Waverly Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Waverly Heights, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care residents which developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Waverly Heights, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Waverly Heights, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Waverly Heights, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Waverly Heights, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Waverly Heights, 3.3% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Waverly Heights, 86.27% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Waverly Heights, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Some would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Waverly Heights, 17.92% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Waverly Heights, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Waverly Heights, 17.92 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Waverly Heights, 9.68 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Waverly Heights, 73.03% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Main Line Hospital Bryn Mawr CampusAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away130 South Bryn Mawr Ave Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 526-3000
- Roxborough Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.66 miles away5800 Ridge Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Proprietary(215) 483-9900
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Suburban Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away2701 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 278-2000
- Delaware County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.81 miles away501 North Lansdowne Ave Drexel Hill Pennsylvania 19026Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 284-8100
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- Temple University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away3401 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19140Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 707-2000
- Penn Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away51 North 39th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 662-8000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Roxborough Dialysis2.22 miles away5003 Umbria Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Dialysis Stations: 16 (267) 331-6384
- Renal Care Group East, Inc.3.15 miles away780 W Lancaster Avenue, Suite 102 Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Dialysis Stations: 20 (610) 525-1793
- Freedom Dialysis LLC3.53 miles away940 E. Haverford Road, Suite 102 Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Dialysis Stations: 2 (610) 520-7277
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Mt. Airy4.19 miles away10 East Moreland Avenue, Suite 300 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (215) 381-0310
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Northwest Philadelphia4.32 miles away4190 City Avenue, Suite 124 Rowland Hall Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19131Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 871-7774
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wynnewood4.33 miles awayLankenau Hospital Mob - East, Ground Flr 100 East Lancaster Ave., Suite 61 Wynnewood Pennsylvania 19096CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (610) 896-9122
- Davita - Radnor Dialysis4.4 miles away250 King of Prussia Road Wayne Pennsylvania 19087Dialysis Stations: 12 (610) 254-0070
- Total Renal Care, Inc.5.08 miles away235 W. Chelten Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19144Dialysis Stations: 26 (215) 844-5915