Waterview Center is a large nursing home located in Cedar Grove, New Jersey. Sporting an overall score of B-, this looks like a solid facility. Based on our assessment, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's report card is its remarkable inspection reports, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility really outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in this category with a grade of A+. Our inspection grades weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area usually have few severe deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility an B. When determining a facility's nursing grade, we weigh the amount of time nurses are seeing residents as well as the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Waterview Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded its next best category score in the category of long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a B- in this area, which is a decent grade. In determining our long-term care scores, we look at the assistance with daily living received by a facility's patients. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 91.86295 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is a few points lower than we expected but still a decent percentage. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D in our short-term care category. This was the nursing home's weakest category score. Naturally, this score pulled down the nursing home's overall grade to some degree. Our short-term care ratings are arguably more critical for residents requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically mandates more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Waterview Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Waterview Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients that suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Waterview Center, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Waterview Center, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who experienced a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. However, this metric could also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Waterview Center, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Waterview Center, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Waterview Center, 5.95% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients showing depressive symptoms. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Waterview Center, 91.97% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Waterview Center, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Waterview Center, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Waterview Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Waterview Center, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Waterview Center, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Waterview Center, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Cedar Grove, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Cedar Grove, New Jersey has 4 other nursing homes
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 0.85 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.77 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- Mountainside Hospital2.31 miles awayDialysis Unit 1 Bay Avenue Montclair New Jersey 07042Dialysis Stations: 30 (973) 429-6767
- Fresenius Medical Care North Montclair2.34 miles away114 Valley Road Montclair New Jersey 07042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 744-2058
- St. Joseph's Wayne Dialysis2.86 miles away57 Willowbrook Blvd Wayne New Jersey 07470Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 890-2792
- Woodland Park Dialysis Center3.02 miles away1225 Mcbride Ave Suite 100 Little Falls New Jersey 07424CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 890-2394
- Physicians Dialysis Passaic3.92 miles away10 Clifton Blvd Clifton New Jersey 07011CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (973) 594-9100
- Fmc Bloomfield Dc4.19 miles away206 Belleville Avenue Bloomfield New Jersey 07003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 680-8100
- St. Joseph's Sjrmc Dialysis4.28 miles away703 Main Street r2n Paterson New Jersey 07503Dialysis Stations: 8 (973) 754-3570
- St. Joseph's Paterson Dialysis4.5 miles away11 Getty Avenue 275 Hospital Plaza Paterson New Jersey 07503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 60 (973) 684-3490