Located in San Marcos, California, Village Square Healthcare Center is the only nursing home we identified in this area. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. You can certainly do worse than this nursing home. You should also take a look at this facility's category grades below. short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Village Square Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on San Marcos senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's best category grade came in our short-term care category. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B. In our short-term care assessment, we seek to craft a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at a nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. We were not able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last item we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
It should also be noted that this nursing home's inspection grade was strong as well. In fact, we gave it a B for inspections, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection ratings are tied to several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's inspections. Facilities that score well in this category have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Does this page answer your questions about Village Square Healthcare Center?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of C. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we graded is long-term care, which was this facility's least impressive area. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in this area. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. Surprisingly, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Village Square Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 6.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents which are suffering from pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 0.52% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 0.56% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who have experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 9.39% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term care residents who are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 23.68% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 0% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 99.75% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 7.37% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 7.42% of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 7.42% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 9.23% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Village Square Healthcare Center, 79.06% of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.37 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 7.98 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 12.6 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.69 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 16.99 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center4.94 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Fmc-Buena Creek5.13 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis7.24 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Davita Oceanside Dialysis7.25 miles away4182 Oceanside Blvd Oceanside California 92056Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 941-8393
- Fmc-North Coast Kidney Center7.43 miles away3300 Vista Way, Suite A Oceanside California 92056CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (760) 721-4344
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis7.91 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- u.s. Renal Care Oceanside Dialysis8.25 miles away2227- B El Camino Real Oceanside California 92054CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 757-1838
- Fmc-Rancho10.58 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700