Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center is a very-large nursing home located in San Diego, California. It looks like this facility is a well below average nursing home. A score in this range suggests we found some red flags. We ranked this as one of the five worst rated facilities in San Diego. With countless other facilities in the city, you may simply want to look elsewhere. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
15720 Bernardo Center Drive,
San Diego CA 92127
91.27% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Even though this nursing home's overall grade wasn't a highlight, it actually received a somewhat respectable grade in nursing. We gave it a B- for that category. We weighed the levels of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses were with residents, in computing our score in this area. This facility averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is well below average. Lastly, nursing ratings also consider quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's short-term care score is one of its higher scores. The facility received a B- in this area. In the area of short-term care, we try to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final metric we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable area is long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B-. For prospective residents seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 99.89648 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Turning the last category of inspections, we gave this nursing home a score of C for this category. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially focus on the severity of those deficiencies. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were category G through L deficiencies. This indicates this facility avoided the more ominous classes of deficiencies. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Villa Rancho Bernardo Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for San Diego, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Diego, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.18 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.39 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 11.01 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 11.3 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.48 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 14.63 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.93 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.44 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Fmc-Rancho0.45 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis3.31 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North4.52 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis8.05 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center8.87 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Fmc-La Jolla8.92 miles away4765 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 100 San Diego California 92130Dialysis Stations: 24 (858) 793-0058
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis11.28 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Sanderling Dialysis of Ramona12.16 miles away2102 Main Street Ramona California 92065Dialysis Stations: 12 (844) 375-7365