Villa Mesa Care Center is an average-sized nursing home in Upland, California. This facility received an overall score of F. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Upland. The city has just two other nursing homes. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Villa Mesa Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of C. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were category G through L deficiencies. This indicates it dodged the more serious classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received some government fines in recent years.
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility received an F for its short-term care score. In forming these short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Considering its grade in this category, we were not stunned to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the data we assessed. The last measure we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor statistics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Does this page answer your questions about Villa Mesa Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this facility an F in the category of long-term care. If you are looking for anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 99.65035 percent of its residents, which is more than the average nursing home. Surprisingly, this nursing home also keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Turning to the final category, this facility didn't perform very well here either. Due to a very poor grade of F in nursing, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. Our nursing rating is mostly based on a facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Villa Mesa Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often the result of poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents which experienced a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Villa Mesa Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.23 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.66 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.66 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.18 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital FontanaAcute Care Hospitals 12.03 miles away9961 Sierra Ave Fontana California 92335Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 427-5500
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.06 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.55 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Davita-Upland Dialysis0.39 miles away600 N. 13th Avenue Upland California 91786CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (909) 946-3802
- Davita-Upland Colonies Dialysis1.79 miles away587 N. Mountain Avenue Upland California 91786Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 931-4515
- Ontario Dialysis, Inc.2.07 miles away1001 W. Sixth Street, Suite A Ontario California 91762CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 984-0320
- Ontario Holt Dialysis Center, Inc.3.38 miles away1310 West Holt Avenue Ontario California 91762Dialysis Stations: 28 (909) 986-0230
- Davita-Montclair Dialysis Center3.51 miles away9142 Monte Vista Ave Montclair California 91763CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (909) 626-6505
- Fmc-Rancho Cucamonga3.83 miles away10532 Acacia Street, Suite b2-b3 Rancho Cucamonga California 91730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 987-8887
- Davita-Ontario Dialysis4.59 miles away1950 South Grove Avenue, Suite 101 Ontario California 91761CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (909) 930-5566
- u.s. Renal Care Dialysis Center of Ontario4.61 miles away2850 Inland Empire Blvd., Suite C Ontario California 91764CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (909) 476-2638