Villa Gardens Health Care Unit is located in Pasadena, California. This city has 153,114 people. This nursing home was given a very strong overall score of A, which is better than many of the facilities in Pasadena by a wide margin. This is just about as good of a facility as you're going to find. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its long-term care grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Villa Gardens Health Care Unit
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Aquatic Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to performing well in its overall score, this nursing home earned an excellent long-term care grade. We gave it an A in that category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to this nursing home's impressive resume, we awarded this facility a grade of A for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some can be quite minor. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Villa Gardens Health Care Unit?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was elite in the area of short-term care, where it received a score of A-. Only a select group of facilities performed better in this area. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to measure a facility's rehabilitation services In order to offer good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to have higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. We were not able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
In the last category, we gave this facility a grade of A for our nursing score. This topped off a very favorable profile. Nursing ratings are mostly associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Villa Gardens Health Care Unit Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 95.72% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Pasadena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Pasadena, California has 14 other nursing homes
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 5.42 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.28 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.77 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis1.38 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center1.71 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena1.72 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Huntington Dialysis Center1.79 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- Davita-Eaton Canyon Dialysis2.31 miles away2551 E. Washington Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 798-8896
- Davita-Pasadena Foothills Dialysis Center3.57 miles away3722 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 432-4331
- Davita-Arcadia Oaks Dialysis4.83 miles away721 W Huntington Drive, Suite a-D Arcadia California 91007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 294-9682
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC4.95 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830