Villa Gardens Health Care Unit is located in Pasadena, California. This city has 153,114 people. This nursing home was given a very strong overall score of A, which is better than many of the facilities in Pasadena by a wide margin. This is just about as good of a facility as you're going to find. Headlining this place's stellar profile is its long-term care grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Villa Gardens Health Care Unit
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Aquatic Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Best Nursing Home in Pasadena, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to performing well in its overall score, this nursing home earned an excellent long-term care grade. We gave it an A in that category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our nursing grade is largely tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning patients more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Villa Gardens Health Care Unit?
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final category, this nursing home also excelled in the short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it an A for this area. This completed truly elite profile. With our short-term care score, we endeavor to forge a fair gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Villa Gardens Health Care Unit Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that had a fall resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint could be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Many believe this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Villa Gardens Health Care Unit, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Pasadena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Pasadena, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.62 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 5.42 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.28 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.77 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis1.38 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center1.71 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena1.72 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Huntington Dialysis Center1.79 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- Davita-Eaton Canyon Dialysis2.31 miles away2551 E. Washington Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 798-8896
- Davita-Pasadena Foothills Dialysis Center3.57 miles away3722 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 432-4331
- Davita-Arcadia Oaks Dialysis4.83 miles away721 W Huntington Drive, Suite a-D Arcadia California 91007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 294-9682
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC4.95 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830